[p2pu-webcraft] School of Webcraft Update - May 24th, 2011

Pippa Buchanan Pippa.Buchanan at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:05:36 UTC 2011

[Click here<http://learninglearning.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/school-of-webcraft-update-may-24th-2011/>to
view this update in a web browser]

Twice a month we bring you updates on School of Webcraft,
Mozilla<http://mozilla.org/>'s
free web-development training community organised in partnership with Peer 2
Peer University <http://p2pu.org/> (P2PU). We also use this update to let
you know about the great new features that have been released in P2PU's new
site <http://new.p2pu.org/>.
Groups currently open for sign-up

   - Beginning Game Development with HTML
5<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/html-introduction/>
   - HTML 5 Introduction <http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/html-introduction/>
   - Introduction to Contributing to
Lernanta<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/introduction-to-contributing-to-lernata/>
   - Javascript <http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/mozilla-jetpack/>
   - Mozilla Jetpack <http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/mozilla-jetpack/>
   - Python Programming
101<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/python-programming-101/>
   - Find more <http://new.p2pu.org/en/schools/school-of-webcraft/>...

New Groups and Courses you can help organise*
*

   -  Paws on Web APIs <http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/paws-on-web-apis/>
      - Help Hemanth<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/paws-on-web-apis/content/sign-up/comment/>as
he develops a group learning to analyse, design and develop web APIs
   - Introduction to
Django<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/introduction-to-django/>
      - Alex wants to learn more about the Django web framework for Python. Can
      you help him<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/introduction-to-django/content/sign-up/comment/>
      ?
   - Federated Social Web<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/federated-social-web/>
      - Work with
Elf<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/federated-social-web/content/sign-up/comment/>as
he finds more about the protocols used to federate open social
      networking.
   - PHP Fundamentals <http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/php-fundamentals/>
      - Praveen's created a group for learning the fundamentals of PHP,
      however he needs assistance defining tasks and finding resources. Can you
      help<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/php-fundamentals/content/sign-up/comment/>
      ?

If you can't find a study group or course that suits your needs, get
involved and create your
own<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/create/?school=school-of-webcraft>!
Our community of passionate web developers is here to help you with advice
about resources and useful tasks to learn your topic.

*New P2PU Feature - "Branch" from an existing course or study group.*

P2PU is almost ready for the final transition to its custom-developed
Lernanta platform.  The P2PU Dev community has been updating content and
adding features to make this transition easier for all learners.

   - Our favourite new Lernanta feature lets you easily import past courses,
   and clone existing study groups.
   - Base your group on a previous School of Webcraft course! Here are some
   ideas of courses you could re-run:
      - Introduction to Drupal<http://p2pu.org/webcraft/introduction-drupal>
      - Learning Web UI
Automation<http://p2pu.org/webcraft/learning-web-ui-automation>
      - Alt Text and Universal
Design<http://p2pu.org/webcraft/alt-text-universal-design>
      - Explore other Webcraft
courses<http://p2pu.org/webcraft/course/list?course_status[10_open]=10_open&course_status[15_registration_closed_course_full]=15_registration_closed_course_full&course_status[20_running]=20_running&course_status[30_complete]=30_complete&title=&tid[307]=307>to
be inspired by.

2nd Phase of the School of Webcraft Badge Pilot

Together with P2PU, Mozilla is working on Open
Badges<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges>,
a framework that tracks your learning achievements.  Our first focus for
this new technology is providing peer-assessed badges for Web Developers.

   - Explore the first phase of the School of Webcraft badge
pilot<http://badges.p2pu.org/>
   .
   - We're working on phase two of the badge pilot. Find out
more<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges>
   .

Group Spotlight - HTML and CSS from the Beginning

Jamie Curle's running a great course about HTML and CSS from the
Beginning<http://p2pu.org/webcraft/html-css-beginning>.
He's writing HTML in his greenhouse <http://instagr.am/p/ECse9/> and
making ordered
lists of meat<http://jamiecurle.com/posts/applying-html-tags-world-around-us/>
.

Next week we'll be interviewing Jamie to learn more about his reasons for
getting involved with School of Webcraft and to find out his tips for
organising an exciting project.

If you know of some exciting School of Webcraft news we should be reporting
- let us know <p2pu-webcraft at lists.p2pu.org>!
Need advice? Want to get the most out of School of Webcraft and P2PU?

Take a look at the Help Desk
<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/p2pu-help-desk/>group on the new site
for answers to any questions you may have about
participating in P2PU, and regular updates about the new site's features.
Get Involved

There are lots of great ways to get involved with School of Webcraft and
help build our community of web developers.

   - *Start a learning project at School of Webcraft*
   It's easy, just create a P2PU account and follow the
prompts<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/create/?school=school-of-webcraft>
   .
   - *Got a question about School of Webcraft? *
   Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://p2pu.org/webcraft/school-webcraft-frequently-asked-questions>
   .**
   - *Join the Webcraft Discussion List*
   To participate in ongoing discussions about the project, sign-up
here<http://lists.p2pu.org/mailman/listinfo/p2pu-webcraft>
   .
   - *Dying to just hack? *
   Learn more at the Contributing to
Lernanta<http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/introduction-to-contributing-to-lernata/>group.
   Submit a bug on the
tracker<http://p2pu.lighthouseapp.com/projects/71002-lernanta>Contribute
   to the code at Github <https://github.com/p2pu/lernanta>

This (and all P2PU mailings) are licensed under CC
BY-SA<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>.
Please feel free to translate it and share it with your friends!