[p2pu-webcraft] CS Courses besides WebCraft

Pippa Buchanan Pippa.Buchanan at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:22:40 UTC 2011

Within this discussion I think it's important to be clear that a potential
CS school, while having overlap would have to be organised separately from
Webcraft.  As such this might be a good conversation to continue on the main
mailing list :-)

I'm happy to answer questions about this, but can't act as an organiser.

School of Webcraft's goal is providing training for people wishing to
develop web specific skills and pursue careers as web developers using open
and standards based web technologies. I'm happy to work with the potential
CS school organisers to identify subjects with an overlap and will continue
to provide guidance and promotion to those courses which fall within School
of Webcraft's charter.

For those of you interested in pursuing a CS school idea some first steps
could be:

   - put out a call on the P2PU community list  and organise a call
   - Identify a spokesperson and Following feedback from the P2PU community
   - organise a separate mailing list following the Working Group guidelines
   - join the Schools list and read through the archives to find out more
   about how to set up a school
      -   http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-schools
   - Identify the goals of the CS school - eg. would there also be a focus
   on non-proprietary technology? (+1)
   - A free/open focus is far more scalable and means that learners would
      not have to pay license fees for software they're working with
      - What would your draft charter include?
      http://etherpad.mozilla.org:9000/webcraft-charter
      - identify existing courses (not Webcraft) that would fall under the
   Schools topic and contact their organisers to see if they can join a call.
   - Identify some potential organisations to ask for guidance - depending
   on your project goals they might include the free software foundation, and
   the Free Technology Academy http://ftacademy.org/

I look forward to reading more about this (on the community list or a
P2PU-CSSchool  list :-) )

P*