[p2pu-webcraft] Using OSQA for badges

Parag Shah adaptives at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 04:46:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have been thinking about badges and the environment which can support
badges for learners.

I guess OSQA is a natural choice because it suppports QA type forums and
badges. However, I had a few thoughts which I feel might be important as we
go ahead.

1. Context of community badges.
Along with competency badges, we might also support other badges, such as
'peer helper', 'consistent learner', etc. Most likely these badges would be
in the context of a course. So if someone gets a 'peer helper' badge in the
Javascript course, it might be a good feature if we could reflect this,
because that person may not have been a 'peer helper' in another course. It
may also be a nice idea to reflect proof of the work along with a badge. It
will be a bit cumbersome to have all this information in a coherent and
clutter-less way, in OSQA.

2. Voting for challenge parts.
Right now our notion of voting for a challenge submission, is to evaluate
the entire work of a candidate. However, for slightly large challenges, it
may be a deterant, for a reviewer to spend 3 hours reviewing a challenge.
However, they would be happy to review certain parts of a challenge based on
their expertise and time available. Not sure how well OSQA will support
that.

I don't mean to say that OSQA is a bad choice. Rather just trying to get a
discussion going on where we might get into bottlenecks with OSQA, and if we
should consider some alternatives or customize OSQA.

--
Thanks & Regards
Parag Shah