[p2pu-webcraft] How can we best use HTML5 video (Universal Subtitles, Popcorn etc) for awesome Webcraft content?

Dan Diebolt dandiebolt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:22:36 UTC 2011

> ... how we could use video for Webcraft content. ...

The overwhelming majority of existing video content is flash based. If you
want to include existing videos as instructional content for a course you
can embed it into the new platform using the CKEditor but you are limited to
YouTube videos as that is the only shortcode supported.

If you want to learn about HTML 5 video you have to learn about the three
video formats (ogv, webm, and mp4), conversion and hosting, <video> element,
video API, libraries such as popcorn.js, etc. The easiest way to learn about
share code using jsFiddle.

If you want to understand video in the context of market forces, the mobile
platform, the position of big players like Google, Apple, Microsoft, Adobe
watch this video:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/html-5-vs-flash/9742-1_53-50083273.html

FWIW, course videos uploaded to http://www.sophia.org/ are transcoded to mp4
and served out of Amazon S3 using HTML5 <video> element.