[p2pu-dev] [p2pu-community] P2PU in every language

Jane Park janepark at p2pu.org
Mon Apr 22 22:23:34 UTC 2013

Adding Elly and John to the convo as they recently built some courses in
German (not sure if they'd want the platform interface itself to be
available in German eventually, too)

So exciting that we continue to gain interest in P2PU from different
regions and in different languages!

Dirk, your short term and medium term solutions both sound great to me. One
thing I might add is a way for users to contribute to translating and/or
improving translation of P2PU in their chosen language, even if it's a
simple link in the pop-up that directs them to
https://github.com/p2pu/lernanta/wiki/Translating-Lernanta. Though we might
fashion an easier pathway for folks who are down to translate (eg. who to
contact, etc.).

I'm sure others who actually use these other language will have more and
better insights.

Best,
Jane

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Dirk Uys <dirk at p2pu.org> wrote:

> We are in the process of adding and updating translations for p2pu.org
> and we need a bit of feedback.
>
> We currently have translations for the following languages in
> different states of completeness:
> - English
> - Spanish (slightly outdated)
> - Chinese (slightly outdated)
> - Korean (newly contributed!)
> - Hebrew (partial translation newly contributed)
> - Swedish (recently updated, but would like some feedback)
> - Dutch (partial and outdate)
>
> User are redirected to the translated version of p2pu.org according to
> their browser language preference.
>
> Maintaining the translations and ensuring that they are up to scratch
> is difficult and the reality is that some of the translations ends up
> being suboptimal.
>
> We are dedicated to making P2PU accessible to as many people as
> possible, but defaulting to incomplete and outdated translations
> detracts from the user experience and usefulness of the site to users.
> We are considering the following short term and medium term solutions:
>
> Short term:
> Direct all traffic coming to p2pu.org to English, but allow users to
> manually switch to any of the available translations.
>
> Medium term:
> Distinguish between complete and partial translations and direct users
> to complete translations according to their browser (or profile)
> preference. If the prefered language for the user is a partial
> translation - direct the user to the English version of the site and
> display a popup giving the user the option of viewing incomplete
> version of the translated site.
>
> Any thoughts on how we can do this better?
>
> Cheers
> Dirk

School of Open
http://schoolofopen.org