[p2pu-dev] Tech call notes 2013-04-18

Dirk Uys dirk at p2pu.org
Thu Apr 18 16:01:01 UTC 2013

Progress

   - PyCharm (Python IDE) licence

   - http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/

   - We got a PyCharm Free Licence for opensource projects in case anyone
   wants to use it.

   - Licence was issued for the whole project so anyone that works with us
   can use the licence. http://etherpad.p2pu.org/p/PyCharm_Licence

   - Licence is valid for a year, we can ask for renewal before the year is
   over.

   - Data expeditions kicked off - basic email composer & scheduler running
   ( https://github.com/p2pu/mechanical-mooc/ )

   - How does the scheduler work?

   - Super simple.

   - There is a list of emails. For each email you can specify a date/time.

   - You can still send manually.

   - Each email is sent only once (manual overrides scheduled)

   - Merged updated Swedish translation, new Korean translation and partial
   Hebrew translation

   - Future: Differentiate between "quality" translations and "in progress"
   translations

   - DU to reach out to community about translations

   - Linode server upgrades (kick self)

   - Dev server has been upgraded (runs etherpad server, and also
   beta.p2pu.org)

   - never assume something like this will Simply Work

   - always backup, always be cautious, always do it when you have time to
   deal with resulting problems!!

   - DU to reach out to Zack Chase about course running on beta.p2pu.org

   - Badges coming along

   - a little slower than expected

   - Reach out to community to test rich text editor

Priorities

   - Badges

   - push to OBI

   - rich text

   - integration with p2pu.org

   - Course communication

   - course announcements

   - disqus notifications, etc

   - LRMI blog post

   - Music MOOC

   - give feedback to Chris

Problems

   - WYSIHTML5-bootstrap has several problems

   - adding links

   - making a single word bold

   - would be good to have a goto editor for richtext/HTML

   - my suggestion is stil CKeditor (clientside) http://ckeditor.com/ . It
   needs a bit testing before we could use it as default.

   - Question about data mail accounts (bounces).

   - Goal: Never expose/send-from an email address that bounces

   - If we only show the address that bounces during the test mailings,
   that's fine. If users see the address (or if it is set as reply-to) then we
   should make sure not to bounce replies)

Process

   - Board update was written for geeks (and lots of good stuff wasn't
   articulated in a way that gets it the attention it deserves) - Have a look
   at what I did with it (for next time)