[p2pu-dev] Multi task edit

Jos Flores josmasflores at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:03:46 UTC 2012

Hey Dirk,

As you mention, this is almost a "1 page app" kind of page and for
something like this, with so much going on, I would also be pushed
towards full JS (something like Backbone; I'm over-committed right now
but would love to write a backbone challenge sometime, mainly to learn
it properly!).

The view is getting quite complicated, with a lot of conditionals, and
I personally get lost in Django templates; that was the hardest part
to get my head around when I looked at Lernanta... there's stuff being
override everywhere and it loses me completely... but that's just me!
So I'd be pushed again towards full JS.

The problem with using backbone is that it expects a REST API, but can
be override to work with normal AJAX calls:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7948139/backbone-js-without-rest-using-asp-net-webservice

cheers,
José

On 30 May 2012 14:07, Dirk Uys <dirk at p2pu.org> wrote:
> Hi José
>
> I tend to agree. I just noted it as looking horrible at first, but
> what you are saying about the lack of context is true. I'm busy
> tweaking the CSS a little to make it look better.
>
> Tasks numbers will be slightly more work than it should be. So will
> some of the style enhancements, but I'll look into them anyway.
>
> I'm not super excited about the way the Ajax is implemented. Currently
> the every task is like a little place holder for whatever the server
> returns for that task when you click on edit. Once the edit is
> finished, the embedded task is displayed again. The page holding all
> these little embedded task pages handles adding tasks via ajax. Moving
> and deleted causes page reloads.
>
> The alternative would be to do everything on one page with JavaScript.
> I haven't completely written off the idea, but I'm not overly keen on
> client side templating (maybe we need to do this in the long term?).
>
> I don't want to complicate things, but I also want the course creation
> and editing process to be pleasant.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jos Flores <josmasflores at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Dirk,
>>
>> sorry to say I'm not too convinced about the interaction.
>> There is a lack of context, I guess due to not having styles applied.
>> Clicking edit in several tasks at the same time is a bit confusing.
>> And when you save, even though there is no full refresh, you lose
>> track of what you were doing cause it collapses (same goes for full
>> refresh when re-ordering).
>>
>> A bit more context would help, task numbers, styles, and so on. What you think?
>>
>> cheers,
>> José
>>

>> On 30 May 2012 11:32, Dirk Uys <dirk at p2pu.org> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> Please have a look at
>>> http://dev.p2pu.org:4456/en/groups/flying-101/edit/tasks/. You can log
>>> in using user1 and password1. It still needs to be integrated with the
>>> whole course creation process.
>>>
>>> The code for this can be found at
>>> https://github.com/dirkcuys/lernanta/tree/course_creation
>>>
>>> Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> d