[p2pu-dev] tech call notes 2012-05-02

Dirk Uys dirk at p2pu.org
Thu May 3 06:05:47 UTC 2012

 *May 2*

   - Zuzel update (I actually meant something else, but good to hear what
   you have been up to)

   - multiple task edit/create/order in progress -- demo:
   http://alpha.p2pu.org/en/groups/test01/content/edit/

   - user-10/password

   - can edit/order tasks on the same page

   - included test at apps/content/tests.py for this functionality

   - P: breaks layout on my computer / OSX Chrome - editor is too wide for
   the content box

   - http://cl.ly/0M2K1y0D2Y021T1U3G47

   - tested and updated lernanta setup instructions with ubuntu 12.04

   - improvements to the django admin site -- https://p2pu.org/admin/

   - the performance + ui of the admin site is better now

   - did not manage to make it simple enough for non-tech people to handle
   spam

   - couple of bug fixes:

   - fixed cancel link of new comments page

   - fixed next task link

   - Next step sysadmin responsibilities

   - http://pad.p2pu.org/p/detailed-responsibilities

   - dirk and I had a chat yesterday --
http://pad.p2pu.org/<http://pad.p2pu.org/p/zuzel_dirk>
   p/zuzel_dirk <http://pad.p2pu.org/p/zuzel_dirk>

   - next step: meeting tomorrow 1 hour and a half before the community
   call to talk about the release

   - *Sysadmin task included here -> **
   http://pad.p2pu.org/p/detailed-responsibilities*<http://pad.p2pu.org/p/detailed-responsibilities>

   - Linode accounts (Dirk)

   - Next steps:

   - Add Dirk to management interace for our linodes

   - Zuzel and Dirk to look at the menus and features together tomorrow

   - Backups

   - Currently handled by Andre

   - Next steps:

   - Dirk to talk with Andre about current setup

   - Next steps:

   - work out who will take responsibility of each sys admin tasks in the
   future

   - identify an "owner" for all responsibilities

   - Badges discussion

   - Dirk's prototype

   - beware -> v0.0001

   - http://dev.p2pu.org:4456/en/groups/flying-101/edit/badges/

   - user: user3 / password: password3

   - http://www.flickr.com/photos/79237959@N02/sets/72157629946995703/

   - Course-completion-badges

   - Create hard one-to-one association between course-badge and course (so
   no other users / challenges can award the same badge)

   - Original design based on Webmaking 101, which is not generalizable

   - Badges

   - http://pad.p2pu.org/p/new-badges

   - Should badges be reviewed before it can be added to a challenge?

   - More general question: do we (need to) do quality assurance?

   - For courses / challenges - Community featured. Natural selection

   - For badges? Maybe a more important question than for courses

   - Who should be able to create badges?

   - Skill badges

   - challenge creator -> challenge badge

   - badges per task

   - Schools admins -> schools badges

   - P2PU for community badges (awarded anywhere on the site, or automated)

   - https://trello.com/card/badges/4f323cb0dc4f892e67959f11/17

   - don't remember creating
   http://p2pu.org/en/badges/p2pu-technical-contributor/ -- did dirk work
   on this one?

   - looks good

   - Next Step:

   - john + new learning lead + philipp + dirk: scope badges project and
   define responsibilities

   - Roadmap

   - http://pad.p2pu.org/p/priorities-project-pipeline

   - Next steps:

   - John to review trello board and spec out next few releases (update
   column names to indicate release)

   - github wiki general items for 2012 with link to trello board

   - Dev environment set-up (how hard is it? how can we make it easier?)

   - it's fairly straight forward for developers with python and command
   line skills

   - there are detailed instructions that should work for novice developers

   - main issue is if people run into problems

   - troubleshooting takes a lot of time / complicated

   - alternative would be to create a virtual machine template that
   developers can just download

   - will still look into using vagrant for dev environment (uses
   virtualbox to automatic setup)

   - https:// next steps

   - google search results require page refresh

   - soloved: not, yet

   - Next step:

   - John to investigate