[p2pu-dev] Notes tech call 2012-03-21

zuzel.vp zuzel.vp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:05:29 UTC 2012

Mar 21
*Call time (tie to 10am Eastern) - done
*Useful: http://everytimezone.com/
*Also, there is a widget in google calendar that let's you see
different times for a particular event in the sidebar
*FB on Challenge Creation Page
https://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/#m5ase18/wJabLR
*review some of the titles
*pitch it -> create ( or word that conveys excitement ;) (yes,
"create" is not great!)
*(not an issue until we have badge feature) review & publish -> add badges?
*like the idea of more clearly separating work "in progress" from published
*what happens to my challenge > do i have drafts courses on my profile?
*are skills = tags? (just another name, or needs different
functionality?) > yes, same thing / in the future
*how do you go back and forth between the steps (e.g. you're at step 3
and want to go back to 2)? > need to look at this
*Next steps > add edits, share with community
*FB on Badge Assessment/Submission forms (send sketches via em)
*Submission
*Like that you show good work
*Embedd video/text when link to work (main thing I see on the screen
is the work)
*Show rubrics in submissions - hmm - how about self assessment? (i
like that. self-assessment increases reflection / meta learning)
*How do mentors volunteer to be listed? Challenge adopters for now.
Mentorship feature has a long way to go.
*Could tie to personal mentor relationships (Paul is Susie's mentor,
his avatar shows up)
*Or tie to general willingness to review badge submissions
*Assessment
*General:
*Is there another page for the discussion (back and forth) between the
person submitting and assessing? no we need that! (maybe next version?
- this is important, would really like to roll into this release - was
a problem in earlier version)
*Next steps > create mockups / share with community
*Moving Signup Flow
(https://trello.com/card/sign-up-flow/4ec0f020c137ff072a5d8afa/6) in
the pipeline. Changes needed before conversion tracking setup
(https://trello.com/card/log-people-in-after-successful-sign-up/4f3d1ecc3a1fad867ad57e76/15)
*Just added a checklist item on the
https://trello.com/card/conversion-tracking/4ec0f020c137ff072a5d8afa/57
card
*Changes mostly focused on including better tracking (not big changes
to sign-up process)
*Should we add easier ways to sign-up (FB, twitter, etc.)? > Something
to consider when we review sign-up flow
*Are there opportunities to gather more information on our users (this
goes beyond sign-up only)
*We'd like to have more data on our users to understand better how we
can provide value to them, but need to be careful about how we collect
this data
*Chloe: there is research that shows declaring your gender before a
learning experience might result in different results, i.e. african
american teens declaring their race, or girls declaring their gender
performing worse in math exams versus kids that didnt have to declare
that before taking a math exam.
*Next:
*Short Term: start implementing
https://trello.com/card/log-people-in-after-successful-sign-up/4f3d1ecc3a1fad867ad57e76/15
*Future: Check more demographic info, added a note to have this
discussion with a wider audience - https://trello.com/c/gKfCS4LX
*P2PU as a lab - implications for the platform (just discussion for
now - not a proposal yet!)
*already spoke with a number of people in the community about both
conceiving P2PU as a lab and the implications that has for the site
*big challenge -> messaging (p2pu.org vs. P2PU the community lab)
*want to give more exposure to projects / experiments through the site
*announce jam days, incubators, hackdays etc.
*landing page with links to wikis, google groups, blogs
*aggregate updates (make it feel alive)
*but we won't support collaboration features through lernanta
*set this up as a separate site/application rather than build into
lernanta? (with sub-domain?)
*e.g. blog.p2pu.org, mozillalabs.com, etc.
*should we support more independent "spaces" for schools (but run on
one instance)?
*we have two examples now of people who want (are considering) to run
their own lernanta instances
*does this create possibility to partner with others who could host
their own instance? / what are implication of having multiple lernanta
intances in diferent servers (not all managed by us)
*single signon + API + move any p2pu specific content that shouldn't
be on the other sites to the database or make it optional.
*Think about distingushing p2pu.org from The P2PU "Lab" (P2PU the lab)
*Next step:
*More one-on-one conversations with core community
*Draft proposal for changes and share with community