[p2pu-dev] Tech call 2012-06-06

Dirk Uys dirk at p2pu.org
Thu Jun 7 09:44:41 UTC 2012

*June 6*

   - Review pipeline / development process

   - *How do we set priorities?*

   - Decide -> Is it a problem that needs to be solved?

   - Evaluate -> effort vs benefit

   - Funding requirements -> where are these listed? (JB and PS to talk
   through / put together project plans) (would like to have a page with
   this info ->adding to next weeks call

   - Affected users

   - GOAL: Three priorities at a given time

   - What's the status of existing mockups (which ones are final?)

   - Avoid unfinished projects from going into development

   - Example:

   - Multi-task edit form <- it's not a problem for users

   - Next steps:

   - John to review pipeline - pick top priority and get to development
   stage, hand over to Dirk

   - Define "the problem" / "goal" for development tasks - Projects should
   have clear problem / solution

   - Get next projects lined up with priority

   - Plan for future calls -> Progress / Priorities / Problems / (Processes)

   - Short-term expansion of development resources

   - PO - 8 hrs

   - Goals:

   - Ensure DU has support in technology design / implementation as needed.

   - We have ideas for a more modular platform and open interfaces. Help us
   turn them into conceptual designs, prototypes & developer documentation.

   - Helping us get clarity on where we want to go and turn into
concrete strategies
   for implementation.

   - Take what we have right now as the starting point, and map out how we
   get to where we want to go.

   - Focus is NOT building from scratch, but growing / improving /
   iterating based on what we have.

   - Primary concern: different parts of P2PU work together more
   independently, first step towards open architecture and APIs

   - Make changes to the backend to enable experimentation

   - Help us build momentum in the right direction rather than set a target

   - Tasks:

   - Provide mentoring to technology lead

   - Provide code-review and design input as needed

   - Develop conceptual design for modular architecture of core platform

   - Define modules and apps and interfaces between them

   - Question:

   - Is 8 hours enough to drive this (or act in support role)?

   - What is our strategy towards developing and exposing APIs?

   - CE (pending)

   - Goals:

   - Improve front-end and UX

   - For each of P2PU's core modules, review UX and front-end code, clean
   up and improve.

   - Solve real problems that exist on current site

   - Focus on simple solutions (not bells and whistles)

   - Improve underlying front-end architecture

   - Clean up CSS

   - Modularize CSS / CSS framework

   - possibly introduce backbone / other frameworks for web interfaces ->
   make P2PU work more like an app, improve responsiveness

   - give preference to established standards / technologies with more
   longevity, e.g. jQuery

   - Sysadmin:

   - Explore cost implication of moving lernanta to heroku (incluing
   redesign of application, hosting cost, etc.)

   - Either migrate to heroku or develop scripted / automated deployment of
   production site onto a clean ubuntu server

   - Goals:

   - Ability to recover from disaster

   - Reduce time for platform releases

   - Enable more people to contribute to development (Make it easy for new
   developers to get their development environment in one step)

   - How do we credit contributors?

   - What is the background to this?

   - https://github.com/p2pu/lernanta/graphs/contributors

   - YES to reward contributions

   - Mention in release notes

   - Mention in blog posts about new release (and mention them with links)

   - Thank you emails on dev list

   - Next step:

   - DU: Add link to github graph to github project home page

   - Sysadmin backlog

   - What are implication for sysadmin work if CE comes on board?

   - Upgrade production to Ubuntu 12.04 (a clean install)

   - Move non critical services to different linode

   - Passwordless restart for Apache

   - Status monitoring for ALL critical services (apache, celery, ?)

   - Next steps:

   - Move forward with Liam Smit if we can afford it

   - Otherwise, we roll this into scoping for CE

   - (move to separate call between tech lead and product manager)

   - Product/ Platform:

   - Challenge creation process

   - Task creation on one page got a lot of critical feedback

   - New course creation workflow

   - http://dev.p2pu.org:4456/en/groups/create/

   - Notifications and comments

   - Need to check up with sendgrid