[p2pu-dev] Notes from Community Call
bekka at p2pu.org
Thu Jan 26 22:43:04 UTC 2012
Here are the notes of this week's calls. Thanks to everyone who let us
guinea-pig the new format on them - we think it worked rather well!
As always, all notes, as well as the chat transcripts are available on the
- Standups (in writing only)
- DIY U overhaul: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/diy-u/
- Mtgs with DIY U researchers
- New DIY U launch Feb 1!
- Compiled New Courses list, lots of amazing drafts.
- Gathering information for tax filing
- Insurance paperwork
- Planning for open ed week with Chloe
- General admin
- SoW Survey collecting data for Challenge Pilot
- Design Assessment Features, first pass- collected feedback from Erin &
Philipp, will move to next iteration and share with community in a few
weeks. If you want to get involved em me directly.
- Challenge Creation party with Brian Brennan &Rob Spectre, they are not
complete yet but you can check them out, hope is to release next week,
feature them in SoW front page.
- Draft here http://p2pu.org/en/groups/create-your-first-python-website &
- John (on vacation)
- Board meeting - Budget 2012 approved
- Times Higher Education comment piece (coming out shortly)
- Hiring (no success yet)
- started posting the programming 101 challenge ("programming with
APIs"). hope to be done today, maybe tomorrow.
- will definitely want feedback/suggestions when it's up.
- approaching profs of my reading class in HCI this semester to see if
they are cool w me running a p2pu version of the course in parallel.
- We started including approximate dates of release to more cards in the
- Sent badges survey to webmaking 101 challenge participants
- Heads up: website maintenance this weekend : http://goo.gl/noX6I
- Recruiting the Design Thinking organizers this week and next from Hubs
(Melbourne, SF, Westminister, DC)
- Working on the Pitch to the Hub Association for the Peer Masters
- Preparing for the Ashoka U Exchange workshop
- News of the week (in writing only)
- Blog posts you wrote
- Mixing P2PU into the university classroom:
- Apple Textbooks -
- Articles you read
- John on vacation?
- "An American man sustained only minor injuries after jumping off Table
Mountain in Cape Town in a winged suit and falling 197 feet" -
- Initiatives you heard about
- Short report backs (1 min)
- *New Courses**:*
- Hello, git. Hello, heroku. Hello, node.:
http://p2pu.org/en/groups/hello-git-hello-heroku-hello-node/ // this is
not ready yet, please don't feature, i can let you know when it is
- Create Your First Python Website:
http://p2pu.org/en/groups/create-your-first-python-website/ // this is
not ready yet, please don't feature, i can let you know when it is
- UNDER DEVELOPMENT
- Arrow of Time Milestones MOOC:
- (LHC) Test4Theory: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/test4theory/
- Alfa III: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/alfa-iii/
- Information Systems Ethics:
- Explore Your Empathy: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/explore-your-empathy/
- Secon Classroom Collaborations:
- Elem Classroom Collaborations:
- Personal Learning: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/personal-learning/
- Public Speaking: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/public-speaking-2/
- Be Sharp, C-Sharp: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/be-sharp-c-sharp/
- Multimedias con Adobe Director:
- USE CASES
- How do we help these people? (what does this mean?)
- Common uses of the group feature: more unlikely courses (that probably
won't go anywhere) are being created than likely ones.
- 2 categories:
- People testing the platform
- People create a mission/course and never come back to it - we want to
catch these people.
- Philipp -> as a quick fix for people who are not spammers can we set
up an alpha server, and in the form let people know that they can play
around in that space ( +1 Alison)
- Single sign on? Link to alpha.p2pu.org (this is close to what philipp
- Sandbox for this purpose?... we already have http://sandbox.p2pu.org/
- note: sandbox.p2pu.org is pointing to p2pu.org
- *task:* redirect dns to alpha.p2pu.org
- What do we need to make this work?
- Update home page content on sandbox so people know their stuff can
disappear at any time
- Update Course Creation form on p2pu.org so people know there is a
- Ali -> these people are pretty web savvy, and aren't scared to test,
so not too much handholding would be required.
- Alan -> might the course review feature take care of a lot of these?
- Ali -> yes. And a sandbox would reduce the amount of mail and
notifications that come in to the admin account.
- Alan -> Could courses be cloned from the sandbox to P2Pu.org?
- Probably not, and we don't want people to think that the sandbox is
the place where they create their courses.
- Zuzel -> There is a thread on the community list about review feature
- can someone please shake that thread so we don't forget about it!
- What's the subject of that thread?
- *Next steps: *
- CEU courses designed for and by mental health professionals:
- One Heart Source Pre-Field Training:
- Libraries and Teens: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/libraries-and-teens/
- How do we let people test and make use of profiles?
- 3rd Year 2nd semester courses:
- Test 1: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/test-1/
- Lucas : http://p2pu.org/en/groups/lucas/
- Development priorities
- Working on layout changes for the profile and the db models to suport
Community Review of Courses -
- Q: Is this going live on the weekend? can people actually review
courses (or backend implementation for now)? A: Backend for now - mockups
work starts when John is back (email discussion)
- Next on the Project Pipeline: Jobs Page and OBI integration
- Agenda (3 formats)
- *A challenge you need help with*
- *Any proposals you need feedback on*
- *Ideas you want collaborators for*
- Paypal button [bekka]
- The button needs to be configured (this can be done in the paypal
- What amounts?
- Bekka not an expert - looking for input
- I think there is good stuff in here:
- Visual ideas here
- 30 well designed donation pages ->
- The most effective online donation page ever ->
- Alan -> People are more likely to give bigger amounts if you don't
prescribe what they should give.
- Give people a hook "if you can't decide how much to give, consider
what you might pay for a course at a traditional university, and please giv
- Chloe -> it would be interesting to look at the supporters model, with
a page where people's names are listed
- Is it possible to A / B test this? Have different donation forms load
randomly or in different places on the site?
- we can configure two buttons and put them on the site but not sure if
we will know the button they clicked
- *Next Steps:* Bekka to summarise the suggestions and links, distribute
and start working on the configuration
- Webcraft -> Latin America/Ambassadors?
- (maybe not relevant q) should we connect badges to these challenges
that are translated? show it we scheduled on the badges pipeline? chloe?
- should the badge description be in spanish +1 I can help but good to
have more people (i think the Latin America SoW should take charge of
- More people getting help notifications
- How do we get more people to sign up to be able to answer help
- Very few people know that this is a possibility, and might want to
help, so perhaps it would take an email to the community list explaining
how to do this and ask for volunteers
- Alison -> to clarify, this is to get more people contributing on the
public side not the private discussion side
- Any p2pu user that logins into the help desk can change their
notification preferences on help.p2pu.org to be notified when a new
discussion is created. This will not include private discussions but those
should only be available to people we trust and list on the
help.p2pu.org as support staff.
- Ali -> if you start a conversation, you automatically get
notifications about the discussions, but not sure if people can do this
without admin rights (yes they can see bellow)
- Ali to investigate and send a mail to the community
- Users can edit their notifications preferences at :
http://help.p2pu.org/profile/edit and choose to receive a notifications
when someone adds a new discussion:
- General discussion and questions / Anything else that just needs to be
said out loud
- Fireside chat / Virtual book launch - Learning, Freedom and the Web (using
- Freakshow (?) - the absolute unprepardness, a lot of fumbling of
setting up the technology
- Participants not great at using webcam
- Great content - how do we make it look better?
- As we use these virtual tools, how do we make them engaging for viewers
- More coaching than technology
- Camera angle looking down is better (mundane issue, but changes energy
on the screen)
- Content was an awkward mix of self-congratulation and awesome stuff.
- some of the points were good, but it bounced around a lot
- BigBlueButton should be able to point us to the recording of this
- Philipp -> there was a lot of preaching to the choir, some detail was
discussed, but there were not enough people to have a generic discussion.
- How do we get these events out to people?
- the talking vs doing it framework: talking brings pundits, mixing it
with online learning might meet the doing requirement more than the talking
- Question: what was the awesome part?
- International focus
- repeated discussion about making being important
- idea that making & learning and the web are tied
- Announcing Challenge Kick off Party next week Feb 2nd. Will be sending
an email to community today. Start working on a Challenge about a topic you
want to teach using this http://p2pu.org/en/groups/make-a-challenge/ and
we will present and give feedback to each other during the party.
- Bring people in to the community call, with some tasks already
planned, to have a party, present some challenges, introduce people to the
idea, help people develop tasks and get ideas.
- Any thinking on timing? - Feb 2nd, in the community call
- Is there interest for making face to face challenge
- If people are interested I could make a kit for people who want to
host their own parties/jams etc
- Chloe met with people in NYC and made some cool challenges, face to
face works well
- Possibility to do this in London for Open Education Week
- Could we get a one-day pass for Skype Premium and have local hangouts
realtime sharing in a couple different places? (DC, London, NYC?) +1
- I think I could get the Design Thinking and the Empathy folks to
participate Chloe (DC and New Orleans)
- is this for next week? we can postpone if you need to rganize better
- I think Open Education Week might be better for those groups, but
happy to try for next week if it's better.
etherpad for open education week here http://pad.p2pu.org/openeducationweek
add your ideas
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the p2pu-dev