[p2pu-dev] Real-time chat to encourage participant interaction

elf Pavlik perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org
Wed Jan 11 01:08:40 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Alison Cole's message of 2012-01-11 00:38:00 +0000:
> I would love P2PU chat to look like gchat/olark chat/facebook where I can
> see who's online - followers or fellow participants...
> I think everyone would love this. I'm sure it's costly and timely to
> implement?
well, this could come handy:
https://project.jappix.com

would require bit of plumbing to hook up into existing system of accounts and authentication

~ elf pavlik ~

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Chloe Varelidi <chloe at varelidi.com> wrote:
>
> > I think this is a great idea, I would be happy to work on a mockup to see
> > how that would look in the page with you Brylie.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Brylie Oxley <brylie at tuxfamily.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I think that it would be helpful to move the chat page so that it is more
> >> prominent. E.g. there could be a course live chat above the activity stream
> >> or replacing the Gravatar images on each course page. This would liven up
> >> popular courses and participants could carry on conversations, ask for
> >> assistance, offer a hand, schedule meetings, and make friends, all while
> >> going about their tasks in the relevant course. This may also help to tip
> >> the balance between the asynchronous and synchronous aspects of the
> >> community.
> >>
> >> Etherpad is a great example of combining real-time chat with asynchronous
> >> capabilities of editing collaborative content.
> >>
> >> I am not proposing that the chat area take up too large a portion of the
> >> page, just that it be present and clearly visible.
> >>

> > --
> > Chloe Varelidi
> > http://varelidi.com/

(living strictly moneyless already for over 2 years)
http://wwelves.org/perpetual-tripper
http://moneyless.info
http://hackers4peace.net