[p2pu-dev] notes tech call april 4th, 2012

Zuzel VP zuzel at p2pu.org
Wed Apr 4 15:23:23 UTC 2012

 April 4

   - Now with additional developer - worth revisiting how we "test" prior
   to releasing new features?

   - What worked and what did not work in terms of 'how we "test" prior to
   releasing new features' when Jessica and Arlton were onboard?

   - What is the current procedure?

   - There is setup prepared for adding Unit tests and selenium tests

   - Challenge we face is to add more automated testing because our
   functionality is in flux - focus testing on things that are (semi)permanent

   - Grouping Features - Checking the requirements during "testing" phase
   to make sure what was built matches the requirements

   - Idea:

   - Announce releases on the list and ask people to check and report issues
   +1

   - releases on the live server or on the alpha server?

   - probably alpha server

   - Could do something like this (example from open badges infrastructure
   project)

   -
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvdKYSgN8bdGdG1VTnczTHlTYTZMNEttRTl6MWFDSlE#gid=0

   - integration tests - automated smoke-test to make sure key features
   still work

   - create a profile

   - create a challenge

   - etc

   - Smoke test ->
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_testing#Software_development

   - Release / testing process (two weeks timeframe):

   - Features Spec'd out added to dev sprint (before sprint starts)

   - Dev happens (first week and a half -- maybe before last tech call of
   the sprint?)

   - As things get finished, they're pushed out to alpha by Zuzel or Dirk
   (who ping the feature owner) (before last tech call of the sprint so the
   demo is available on the tech call)

   - Developer who pushes out the code to alpha lets dev list know and
   invites people to test-drive

   - Feature owner verifies developed features (between tech call/email
   send to lists and Friday)

   - Last minute fixes accourding to product owner and bug fixes (also a
   good point for translators to chime in) (between tech call and Friday)

   - Zuzel deploys to production (on the weekend)

   - Feature owner community list

   - (lots of people are on both lists and dev will likely have an idea of
   what's going on?) (yes - added email to dev list above)

   - Include new features and improvements in next newsletter

   - Next steps:

   - Update release process as described above (should we store this
   somewhere? / trello board?)

   - I will add a wiki page with it on github

   - Zuzel keep an eye on possibility of adding unit tests when needed -
   Automated Testing

   - Get volunteers to be productive developers as efficiently as possible

   - Not sure how trello could work for volunteers (note that trello
   requires people to be members of the boards), but we should at least try to
   fill https://trello.com/board/project-pipeline/4ec0f020c137ff072a5d8afa for
   future staff onboarding

   - Ignore "onboarding" - i just used the trello board as an example for a
   step-by-step process to get someone up to speed (on any topic)

   - But probably best to use a "challenge" ...

   - Screencast

   - Existing courses

   - http://p2pu.org/en/groups/introduction-to-contributing-to-lernata/ (I
   also did this, it worked fairly well, but slight split between development
   communication) - should we update this? yup

   - http://p2pu.org/en/groups/lernanta-dev/ (not used anymore - should be
   deprecated) it is marked as archived and non-listed

   - Next steps:

   - Turn study group into challenge and update *(Dirk**)*

   - Whatever new resources are made, we should include them on the README
   for lernanta (everyone who makes new stuff) -- the wiki is better
   because it does not requires commits to update and contributors can help
   (the permissions of the wiki to edit are set so people can add content
   there)

   - Dirk to update notes based on his own experience+1

   - [If time permits] Maybe promote the lernanta challenge this 18
April+1 (Dirk
   to send Ali an email with link and short blurb/description)

   - Quick / casual screen cast (Zuzel, John can help with tools/set-up)

   - Maybe good to use an existing doc as outline... if we have one that
   describes lernanta otherwise would start with writing an outline of key
   points.

   - Course dashboard (metrics)

   - Has potential - but who owns? Next steps?

   - we should talk about how this stacks up with other priorities +1

   - Dashboard per course has limitations (needs server resources to create
   dashboard on the fly)

   - Who wants this? Who is the user? (Course/challenge creators?)

   - The community is the user so we can answer the question if users are
   "learning" something

   - This gives us a per course breakdown (awesome)

   - currently displayed in the interface for owners, is that an essential
   feature? Yes (and it's very simple)

   - Its a useful feature for creators/users to see what's going on in
   their courses

   - Original idea was to show this to all participants in each course so
   people can track their own progress, compare themselves to others, find out
   if someone else is struggling (and offer to help) ... but got complex and
   we didn't have time to really make it work

   - Cool, we should think about trying to "unbury" this feature (Yay!)

   - Next steps:

   - Review existing feature and think about where it could go [John]

   - Then decide if we make short-term improvements

   - When learning lead joins, hand-over to them as owner

   - Next dev priority: creation process

   - let's follow the release/testing process we outlined

   - we are going to use chloe's mockups as specks:
   https://trello.com/card/create-page/4ec0f020c137ff072a5d8afa/7

   - john/zuzel will send more cards/tickets for dirk

   - Sign-up

   - encouraging profile completion (profile creation... what is currently
   the dashboard) - Sign up for a new account and you'll see what I mean.

   - Small profile enhancements

   - URL Design

   - need to be spec out.