[p2pu-dev] Updated Challenges Mockup

Jessica Ledbetter jessica at jessicaledbetter.com
Sat Sep 24 22:52:17 UTC 2011

On: http://pad.p2pu.org/badge-directory

Assessment type of accumulative is confusing me. Isn't it basically a
formula of 1 peer? And can be awarded/gathered infinite times which is
probably defined more by the badge type than assessment type?

Also, wouldn't stealth be a formula too? Formula in challenge 4 for the
Social Legend Badge is metrics of comments+activity on wall. Since I'm
looking at Social Legend, I see a rubric. Aren't stealth badges awarded by
the system like automatically when the person has done the required number
of comments?

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Chloe Varelidi <chloe at varelidi.com> wrote:

> I don't think we should hide badges until they complete all the tasks. I
> think people should be able to see what they can potentially apply for/what
> they are working towards, including the rubrics/criteria. It will be clear
> that they have to complete the tasks since the badge tasks says to post the
> completed work from the challenge, but otherwise we are missing out on the
> motivational aspects of the badges, as well as metacognition opportunities
> by knowing the rubrics ahead of time.
> +1 on not hiding the badges, i think it is important to show them as part
> of the task rather than an afterthought (even if that means they are
> visually in the same page ).
>
> also just so you guys have a clear picture of how many badges we have for
> this phase, here is the badge directory;
> http://pad.p2pu.org/badge-directory
> (possibly will be adding some skill badges, after Jamie completes the two
> newest challenges #6 & #7)
> *The badges per challenge with the rubrics can be found in the individual
> challenge etherpads http://pad.p2pu.org/webcraft-challenges
>

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM, zuzel.vp <zuzel.vp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Arlton Lowry <arltonlowry at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would show the buttons for "go to next" and "get a badge" so that
>> users
>> > see that it's something they can achieve. Would be good to indicate that
>> > they need to complete the tasks to unlock it.
>> >
>> > Hmmm…. I'm not sure having the buttons at the bottom without them having
>> > completed the tasks is appropriate, since they can't earn a badge
>> without
>> > showing that they've completed the work? Also, it's my understanding
>> that
>> > Jamie meant for SoW Challenges to be completed in order, so they
>> should't be
>> > given the opportunity to advance without completing the current
>> challenge.
>>
>> I think Jamie and the others did consider people skipping some of the
>> challenges because they could be too easy for part of the audience and
>> the same applies to badges (the peer-reviewed ones).
>>
>> > Possible solution: Maybe we could have some kind of message encouraging
>> them
>> > to complete all the tasks in that space and when they complete them all
>> it
>> > gets replaced with the congratulations message and buttons?
>> >
>> > "You're not alone" makes me feel like I might be. What about "Learn with
>> > your peers", "Get help when you need it" …
>> >
>> > I could see that. Good point.
>> >
>> > It's still missing a way to draw people into the conversations, and
>> become
>> > peer learners. There is no way to see what others are doing. We
>> discussed
>> > this before - would like to hear what came of earlier ideas.
>> >
>> > We've added a "Discuss Challenge" button on the
> [...]

Jessica Ledbetter
http://jessicaledbetter.com