[p2pu-dev] badges names vs. ids

Jessica Ledbetter jessica at jessicaledbetter.com
Mon Oct 3 15:21:26 UTC 2011

For what it's worth, I've been using ids for the application for a badge. So
we finally have ids in urls at P2PU.

For badges, I was making the url like groups (slugs). But didn't scope them.

p2pu.org/badges/wave-badge

So if there's a second wave badge:
p2pu.org/badges/wave-badge-1

If we need to scope them then we'll just need to tweak the model a bit to
tie the badge to a school(?) or find out the school via the challenge that
the badge is tied to. That might be better down the road when any group
creator can make a badge for that group with its own assessments.

I like short urls so I vote for p2pu.org/badges/slug (more human readable
than p2pu.org/badges/id).

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:01 AM, John Britton <john at p2pu.org> wrote:

> Would it make sense to scope the badges? For example:
>
> p2pu.org/badge/joined-p2pu (p2pu badge for joining)
> p2pu.org/webcraft/badge/wave (webcraft wave badge)
> p2pu.org/sosi/badge/example (sosi example badge)
>
> --
> contact info:
> http://www.johndbritton.com
> @johndbritton - http://twitter.com/johndbritton
>

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Chloe Varelidi <chloe at varelidi.com>wrote:
>
>> Hmm...I can see how that would work - because the other schools don't have
>> the mozilla watermark for example, correct (see attached for the "wave"/
>> introduce yourself badge?
>> so they would need their own image...
>> with that said I m always for consistency and if we could work around
>> having the same image for the badges that have the same title I would go for
>> that + not so much work for whoever creates the images each time...
>> cheers,
>> Chloe
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:49 AM, zuzel.vp <zuzel.vp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are not going to have this issue right now, but wanted to know your
>>> opinions about using in p2pu the same rules for naming/identifying
>>> badges as we have for courses. This means we will not restrict badge
>>> names to be unique (e.g. different schools or groups can have their
>>> own Introduce Your Self badge with different images), and ids (i.e.,
>>> slugs) have a number append so urls can be like
>>> /introduce-yourself-badge-3
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,