[p2pu-dev] Notes from Community Call - 24 November 2011 - The Thanksgiving Edition

Rebecca Kahn bekka at p2pu.org
Thu Nov 24 16:51:07 UTC 2011

Hello good people

For those of you who were occupied with turkey, tofurkey, family, jobs, or
generally weren't able to join us, here are the notes from this week's
fantastic community call. It was lightning fast and super-productive,
thanks to all who were present. Scroll down to see what we're thankful
for...

*24 November 2011*

*Attendees*

   - Bekka
   - Philipp
   - Zuzel
   - Laura
   - John

*Agenda*

   - Highlights
   - Alison (thanksgiving)
   - Bekka
      - Recon of workshop budget (payments pending / chasing receipts)
   - Chloe (thanksgiving)
   - John
      - Scoreboard p2pu.org/metrics/scoreboard (currently available to
      staff only, and only has today's stats)
      - stats.p2pu.org - has historical data
      - UX Working Group - 3 volunteers to help with UX (Joao, Jose,
      Oliver)
      - help.p2pu.org is bug free yay!
      - Working on jobs page
      - Job descriptions (part time design, summer interns etc)

   - Philipp
      - School of Data proposal to OSI - with Open Knowledge Foundation
         - - shared with all staff, basically a school for people who need
         data wrangling skills
      - EU project
         - Last week discussed citizen science badges, and have worked on a
         new proposal with CERN contact
         - Argue that citizen science volunteers get some recognition and
         concrete learning outcomes, by linking mass citizen science
projects with
         P2PU
      - Blog post about "vision" -
      http://sharing-nicely.net/2011/11/little-help-from-your-friends/

   - Zuzel
   - Released scoreboard + integration with stats.p2pu.org + send
   logged_in/anonymous status to google analytytics
      - Working on a few quick improvements for them
   - See Metrics board at  https://trello.com/p2pu
      - John talked about this so I will skip it
   - Archived or Shutdown with Redirects (qa.p2pu.org, tracker.p2pu.org,
   p2pu.uservoice.com) - hooray, no more notifications!
      - See Project Pipiline board at https://trello.com/p2pu
   - Working on continuing Jessica's work
      - See Challenge Fixes 1.0 board at https://trello.com/p2pu
   - Working on starting the implementation of backend code for community
   review of courses
      - The UI is pending mockups

   - (any other attendees that want to give an update)

   - Courses & Showcase from Alison
   - Ready:
   - http://p2pu.org/en/groups/human-computer-interaction-at-stanford/[this
will only start in 2012 I think?]- Jan
   - http://p2pu.org/en/groups/open-governance-learn-to-act-like-a-baboon/
*(needs
   more tasks P)** [PS: not ready / we should check in with organizers
   before we showcase/mention their courses]*
   - Needs Tasks:
   - Open Fiction: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/openfiction/
   - Datawarehousing and DataMining:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/datawarehousing-and-datamining/
   - Needs community attention:
   -
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/beyond-discipline-from-compliance-to-community-study-group-
   *requires closed resource*
   - SoOpen post next Tues

Discussion: When to share on the community list / when not to share
[Philipp / Alison / John]

   - ex: Updating welcome email text (i.e., added link to
help.p2pu.org)[but has room for more improvement - that message isn't
great yet]
   - Two goals: let people know we are "working" / work transparently - NOT
   to get authorization / sign-off
   - John -> Really like that idea / style
   - How the notes from the community call could be a way to accomplish the
   same thing withouth sending to many small emails to the community list (if
   we add this things to our status updates)
   - For now, it's possible that we won't have a lot of these kinds of
   emails, and if, and when we do get feedback that there is too much mail, we
   can rethink.

Discussion: Group Types [John / Alison]

   - Right now we have Courses, Challenges, Study Groups
   - Is our goal to
   - offer more types (many types of groups, constantly expanding)
   - offer less types (converging to one offering)
   - a few types that are very carefully chosen
   - need a process to decide when/how to retire some
   - Question:
      - What's the breakdown between courses vs. study groups being
      created? What do users "want" to create?
      - Don't know how relevant this is, because it's not clear what you're
      doing when you create a new group. (Radio button is way down at
the bottom
      and hidden)

   - Ok, but what is the breakdown ;-)
   - We should try to create a new type only if it is very different, but
   trying to make them one is not possible in my experience from the last
   months.
   - If we call all with one term (i.e., courses) they will ask/expect for
   features in challenges that only are necessary for real courses.
   - Anchor our vocabulary in the real world - users understand this
   stuff... what's a "Learning Challenge"?
   - 1 Option is to call everything "courses" and then differentiate after
   people have signed-up, or created their "thing"
   - Need more people in this discussion (the people on this call are not
   representative) - even though it's nice to all agree ;-)
   - Need to figure out the *right* framing for the discussion on the list
   - I don't think that this is something that we can move on right this
   second, it's more of a view for the direction that we're going +1 (in
   terms of framing)
   - John -> calling everything "groups" seems to be confusing, but having
   everything grouped under one collective term doesn't mean that we
   necessarily will lost functionality of the different types
   - What's your flavour/style? (top-down, bottom-up, etc.)

Feedback: Paypal for Nonprofits -

   - We've been looking into this for small donations
   - Non-profit pricing structure for 501c3 on donations up to U$100000.00
   = 2.2% + 30c. eg: cost on $100 donation is $2.50
   - Actual setup is fairly straightforward and quick
   - Next step
   - decision on whether pricing is good for us, and then execution.
   - submit documentation on our 501c3 status
   - submit bank statements
   - set up an account in our name
   - Bekka has been looking into getting donations for P2PU.
   - Really simple process, not so hard to do.
   - Don't know if it's a good or bad deal, don't know much about the other
   options.
   - Once we make a decision it shoul be really easy to do.
   - Donors don't need a paypal account to make a donation. WIN!
   - Pricing not really an issue as alternatives will require merchant
   account (monthly fee)
   - Re-evaluate if there are cheaper options in the future (once we have
   some donation traffic)
   - Does it have a minimum donation so it never happens that for a really
   small donation we loose money instead of earning it?
   - No $1? Definitely can set the minimum ourselves, we're sending them to
   the payment gateway.
   - I'm all for going ahead with this. Aye Aye. We don't need sign-off.
   Let the community know about it by email.
   - TASK: Bekka will send this mail, with plenty of details to the
   community.

   - What are you thankful for?
   - Philipp: For you Bekka!
   - Zuzel: the workshop + get to know p2pu
   - Bekka: Boots cold and flu medication
   - John: A team that likes these kind of agenda items.
   - Laura: Awesome colleagues spread all over the world. And for being a
   guest!+1
   - Philipp: For an hour long call that takes 30 minutes