[p2pu-dev] Notes from P2PU Community Call 17 November 2011

Rebecca Kahn bekka at p2pu.org
Thu Nov 17 23:14:45 UTC 2011

Thanks to everyone who came to today's meeting - we powered through some
good discussions.
And for those of you who couldn't join us, have a look at the notes, chat
transcripts and old notes on http://pad.p2pu.org/community
*
1**7** November 2011*

*Agenda*

   - Standups (modified template to reflect updated projects)
   - does it make sense to move to standups based on people instead of
   specific projects, that's how standups have worked for me in other
   organizations in the past.
   - More on how help.p2pu.org works [John]
   - Response time is important
   - Who gets notifications
   - Community can volunteer
   - Make common issues public (searchable)
   - Projects at P2PU [John]
   - Project Pipeline, P2PU Organization, Sharing boards & Best Practices
   - Does all this make sense?
   - p2pu.org/projects == Project Pipeline
   - p2pu.org/staff can include links to individual task boards for maximum
   transparency
   - pad.p2pu.org/workshop
   - missing some topics and many reportbacks

*Attendees*

   - Alison
   - Bekka
   - John
   - Lila
   - Zuzel
   - Carla

*Notes*

   - Projects & Priorities [John]
   - https://trello.com/board/project-pipeline/4ec0f020c137ff072a5d8afa
   - (almost) all project have been moved into this board - it's the big
   picture place.
   - still trying to figure out what to do with schools (SoSI, School of
   Open)
   - maybe schools deserve boards by their project owners PS: they
   definitely do, just not sure where to link them from. could be from the
   machine, but then they are not public.
   -
   - Stand-ups for projects (the above is just discussion of how this works
   right?)
   - Challenges [Chloe]
   - We talked about renaming Assessment & badges (internally at least) as
   challenges project
   - 3 blog posts around design frameworks have been uploaded - anyone
   wanting to talk to Chloe about this is welcome to.
   -
   http://chloeatplay.tumblr.com/post/12211796533/assessment-from-the-point-of-view-of-a-designer
   -
   http://chloeatplay.tumblr.com/post/12832501900/assessment-from-the-point-of-view-of-a-designer-2
   -
   http://chloeatplay.tumblr.com/post/12923978069/assessment-from-the-point-of-view-of-a-designer-3
   - White paper - the elders want another round of refinement, Chloe will
   share this when it's ready (next week with community) currently for
   whoever wants to take a look here: http://bit.ly/vvpwaa
   - Next step with challenges: compile feedback, make a plan for next
   months
   - Working with a prof from U of Maryland to collect metrics June Ahn -
   he will look at current metrics frm a social pov - C has connected him with
   Zuzel

   - Tech [Zuzel]
   - Worked with Nadeem to work on testing
   - First Saucelabs (saucelabs.com) tests included on Lernanta. This will
   allow us to increase the functionality we can test automatically againts
   different browsers. More details at (
   https://github.com/p2pu/lernanta/wiki/SauceLabs-Tests)
   - We will be integrating p2pu.org and stats.p2pu.org and setting up a
   metrics dashboard that looks like
https://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/<https://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/#6d1kbro>
   #6d1kbro <https://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/#6d1kbro>  more details
   at http://pad.p2pu.org/metrics
   - Retwitted http://twitter.com/#!/johndbritton/status/131741254546501632
   - http://alpha.p2pu.org:8093
   -
   - School of Ed [Philipp] - on hold while Karen is writing a novel in one
   month
   - User Support [Alison / John]

   - Webcraft [John]
   - Jessy is working on some challenges - more feedback next week
   - Metrics [John]
   - P2PU Magic [Alison]
   - Queer Pedagogy: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/queer-pedagogy/
   - Community GIS: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/community-gis/
   - Blogging and Writing for the Web:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/blogging-and-writing-for-the-web-3/
   - First Challenge/Play with HTML:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/first-challenge-3/
   - Get involved in open source:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/get-involved-in-open-source/
   - Bridge to Success: Learning to Learn:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/bridge-to-success-learning-to-learn/
   - *Escola Bíblica Cristã: **
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/escola-biblica-crista/*<http://p2pu.org/en/groups/escola-biblica-crista/>
   - Classical Music: Exploration and Appreciation:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/classical-music-exploration-and-appreciation/
   - Create a superhero identity to protect the open web by hacking HTML
   and CSS :
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/create-a-superhero-identity-to-protect-the-open-web-by-hacking-html-and-css/
   - this one is from the hackasaurus people, we should ask them to finish
   them.
   - Popcorn Challenge: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/popcorn-challenge/
   - same as above, created by mozilla people
   - Web Native Filmmaking: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/web-native-filmmaking/
   - What is open? What is not?:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/what-is-open-what-is-not/
   - Github 101 -- Setting Up Your Acccount:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/github-101-setting-up-your-acccount/

   - *Notes*

   - More on how help.p2pu.org works [John]
   - One of the metrics going forward will be response times on
   help.p2pu.org
   - Response time is important
   - Who gets notifications
   - John, Ali, Bekka, Zuzel
   - a lot of mails come in to admin at p2pu.org, which will be redirected too
   - Community can volunteer
   - Make common issues public (searchable)

   - Projects at P2PU [John]
   - Project Pipeline, P2PU Organization, Sharing boards & Best Practices
   - Does all this make sense?
   - p2pu.org/projects == Project Pipeline
   - or a redirect
   - link to schools projects
   - public boards of staff members
   - p2pu.org/staff can include links to individual task boards for maximum
   transparency
   - Do we have the text that will go to that page in some pad?
   - not yet, we have to make that

   - pad.p2pu.org/workshop [Alison]
   - The pad is really messy, and if we really want to be open, it needs to
   be cleaner - Ali did a big clean-up, but everyone who was there, please add
   anything that is missing
   - Ali is working on a post - she needs feedback, and multiple voices so
   please can everyone send reflections and responses to the email that Alison
   sent
   - This is as much a part of being at the workshop as being present in
   Berlin
   - So either write your own post, or send Ali something she can share
   - *DEADLINE*: Monday21st  - or else!

   - Guidelines on what's in and what's out
   - Do we think there is space for the Escola Biblica course on P2PU?
   - Lila: We want to limit people's speech as little as possible on P2PU
   - Philipp: perhaps the best way to manage this is to ask a few people to
   take a look and make recommendations about what kinds of courses are
   "appropriate" or not
   - Carla: put some very basic guidelines on the site (so people at least
   know this is about peer learning)
   - John: isn't this going to happen on the list?
   - TODO: *Philipp* to work on a proposal / recommendation
   - Lila would like to be involved in this discussion (perhaps push it to
   after US Thanksgiving)

   - DML Competition proposal submitted
   - 2 proposals
   - School of Open -
   http://www.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id<http://www.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id=2726>
   =2726<http://www.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id=2726>
   - Citizen Cyberscience -
   http://www.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id<http://www.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id=2777>
   =2777<http://www.dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/badges-projects.php?id=2777>

   - Call next week (thanksgiving) / who can make it?
   - Philipp ;-)
   - Bekka
   - John - im in poland, we're not having thanksgiving
   - Bekka - The English don't say thank you
   - Zuzel
   - conclusion: worth it! (not worth it to pause for US holidays)

   - New format for community calls [Philipp]
   - Invitations go out on Tuesday
   - Share proposal / background on Wednesday (by email - add to pad)
   - To facilitate the meaningful discussion, without having to do a lot of
   background talking

   - John is super happy and motivated, post-Berlin, (Is he the only one
   who isn't sick?) so for those who could not be there - know that there was a
   good vibe, and things went well.