[p2pu-dev] Notes from P2PU Conference Call - 3rd November 2011

Rebecca Kahn bekka at p2pu.org
Fri Nov 4 04:52:23 UTC 2011

Howdy folks

Here are the notes from this week's community call. Excuse the tardiness,
but better late than never, and I think I can say in all confidence that
this is the first time that the notes have been sent from Doha, in the
sunny kingdom of Qatar. Cool.
It was a peach of a meeting - thank you to everyone who joined it -  we had
some great discussions, heard some exciting news and shared a whole lot of
love. Not bad for a Thursday at the beginning of November.

As always, all notes, as well as chat transcripts can be found on the
etherpad: http://pad.p2pu.org/community

*

*

*Agenda*

   - Standups
   - How help.p2pu.org works [Ali]
   - School of Open Science

*Attendees*

   - Pippa
   - Alison
   - Rob
   - Bekka
   - Arlton
   - Zuzel
   - Philipp
   - (John is in transit - here is why ->
   http://gizmodo.com/5855278/video-of-boeing-767-belly-landing-perfectly++no-injuries-or-casualties)<http://gizmodo.com/5855278/video-of-boeing-767-belly-landing-perfectly++no-injuries-or-casualties%29>
   - Jessica

*Notes*

New Courses

   - Bible Translation Skills Development:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/bible-translation-skills-development/

SoSI

   - Creative Activism Open Class:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/creative-activism-open-class/

Languages

   - Japanese and how to learn it:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/japanese-and-how-to-learn-it/

Web/Tech

   - Arduino: Build and Hack the Planet:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/arduino-build-and-hack-the-planet/

   - Aprendiendo a Desarrollar de Juegos con JavaScript:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/aprendiendo-a-desarrollar-de-juegos-con-javascript/

Journalism

   - Newscoop 101: Beginners course for journalists, end-users and
   designers (4 weeks):
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/newscoop-101-beginners-course-for-journalists-end-users-and-designers-4-weeks/

MATH

   - Moebius Noodles Improv:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/moebius-noodles-improv/

   - Fraction interactives seminar:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/fraction-interactives-seminar/

UCI

   - CSET Science Subtest I: Astronomy, Earth Sciences, Physics:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/cset-science-subtest-i-astronomy-earth-sciences-physics/

   - CSET Math Subtest III: Trigonometry and Calculus:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/cset-math-subtest-iii-trigonometry-and-calculus/

   - CSET Math Subtest I: Algebra and Number Theory:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/cset-math-subtest-i-algebra-and-number-theory/

*Stand-ups for projects*

   - Tech [Zuzel]

   - We will have a small release before I head to the workshop with bug
   fixes

   - It was hard to reschedule the last dev call because our schedules
   don't match so maybe we will be having one on the workshop

   - School of Ed [Philipp]

   - Not much to report back - were to have a meeting with collaborators in
   the US, but had to cancel at the last moment.

   - But have made contact with a large nonprofit called WestEd in the US,
   who seem to like us - they like the idea, but still working on the hooks to
   move it forward.

   - Assessment & Badges [Chloe & Jessica]

   - We are live with badges, would be great if everyone could check them
   out and give feedback.

   - Next steps: badge bug crashing, UX implementation features + profile
   page

   - Release for some bug fixes coming this week.

   - Next steps: working on the assessment document, which is almost ready
   to be shared.

   - Draft guildelines for assessment almost ready - will be shared in
   Berlin

   - Challenge 101: how to make challanges project is underway, will
   collaborate with Mozilla on these and they'll use them on some of their
   projects.

*help.p2pu.org [Alison]*

   - This is the place for all live help at P2PU.

   - Linked from the site

   - Live Chat (available whenever one of support team is online)

   - help at p2pu.org - email

   - Forwarding Emails

   - Getting notifications

   - You can volunteer (to do what?)

   - Anyone can start a conversation, and people don't have to have a P2PU
   account or be signed in to use it

   - Conversations can be private and public

   - Knowledge base is where all the old wiki and handbook materials will
   be kept

   - Ali will be emailing people individually to ask about material/content
   for the knowledge base.

   - Next steps:

   - Fill in content of knowledge base

   - Question to Alison -> What do you want us/ community to do? How can we
   help with help?

   - Test out the helpdesk and give feedback

   - Where do we give feedback?

   - -> Leave message on the helpdesk

   - Can you narrow the ask?

   - Ali will send a mail to the community with specific asks for input

   - Ask people to answer questions in discussions

   - And submit content.

*School of Science (SOS)** [Rob]*

   - Idea originated along with Alan Webb (SoSI)

   - There are lots of places that have sciences lectures and materials
   that are open

   - Less opportunities to learn science together with other people, or
   receive some kind of recognition for learning

   - Passive learning exists - but not so much opportunity to interact

   - What could be done to help that?

   - Use P2PU.org to establish a School of Science

   - Built around three sets of things:

   - Interactive dynamically generated self-grading problem sets

   - Challenges - including peer assessment and review

   - Recognition for being generally helpful (a big part of Science
   Learning)

   - Goal: Recognize people for learning science outside of the traditional
   classroom

*Question ->*: is there a particular community of Scientists that might be
a focus at first?

   - Initial focus on chemistry of physics, but not connected to a
   particular group / institution

*Question ->* Link with other people at P2PU interested in Science learning

   - Someone has been thinking about a foundational science course on P2PU

   - Ali will introduce: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/bio101a/

*Question -> *What kind of audience are being considered?

   - People who are interested and want to understand science (citizen
   science), or people who are learning in more traditional, closed,
   hard-skilled projects?

   - People doing science?

   - People who want to learn about science?

   - *** People who want to transition into "formal" science communities? /
   Be respected as an external / non Official scientist ***

   - Co-ordinating with citizen science groups (doing, rather than talking
   about doing) is really important. Citizen Science movement is a logical
   ally

   - Philipp: I have a good link to citizen science groups. Can intro.

   - Figuring out a way to get recognition for science learning outside of
   the traditional classroom is important, and the infrastructure doesn't
   really exist at the moment, and that is an objective.

*Question ->* How will we reach the users (find the audience) - how will
they know about us?

   - We're not sure! (we like this answer, it's very P2PU!)

   - Which is fine - it's hard ;-)

   - We can share experience of other schools, social media, etc. important
   to find users where they live (rather than shout into the Internet and hope
   they will come)

   - Our friends at the Open Knowledge Foundation might be able to help too
   (their Citizen Cyberscience community might be a good starting point)

*Big question ->* How would problem sets fit into the P2PU model?

   - Original idea was for problem sets to provide a backbone for moving
   through a subject

   - Kind of like levels in a computer game

   - Theory of these would be to have dyanmic generation

   - Computer would spit out variations of the problem sets

   - Similar to Khan academy activities (small problems to test
   understanding)

   - Offer quick feedback

   - Gives a linear sequence that they can follow (3 levels of chemistry -
   yay!)

   - Can also see the value of focusing on participatory science projects
   initially

   - Seems like P2PU model (challenges) is trying to meet/solve the same
   kind of  problems that Rob has seen in Science learning (that learning can
   happen socially, and this can be recognised and tracked

   - If we can start with challenges it might be a good way to show people
   how this methodology can be used.

   - Chloe -> Games have complex settings, which is what we use to try to
   get people to imagine in the challenge context. This can be used quite
   easily in the learning of middle school science in Chloe's experience.

   - Chloe to talk to Rob about it. email at chloe at varelidi.com

   - Chloe is really good at helping people design kick-ass
challenges(thanks Philipp

   - ~(@.@)~ >>nice avatar

   -     ....^..

   - What about the Citizen Circle model that is being used at SoSI
   (merging the face-to-face model as well as the challenge model)

   - It makes sense in situations where people are not always online, and
   also in projects where the social aspect just makes a project less lonely
   and more fun.

   - So yes, there is a valuable overlap.

   - (We should end the conversation on) -> What are next steps?

   - DML - Digital Media & Learning Competition

   - http://www.dmlcompetition.net/

   - Due on November 15th

   - We'd need to submit an outline of the content area, purpose and the
   badges envisioned

   - Forces a clarification of ideas, as well as being a potential possible
   grant funding.

   - Is P2PU the right organisation to submit a proposal like this?

   - Fits perfectly with our values and spirit(s)

   - Round 1 is looking for people who are content experts - so we might
   need to find content experts who can make the proposal, with P2PU as a
   partner, rather than as the proposer.

   - Philipp - Put in touch with Citizen Cyberscience folks for
   co-ownership of the proposal between Rob, Citizen Cyberscience people and
   P2PU.

   - Jessica has an amazing new job! Which is fantastic. And we're very sad
   that she won't have as much time for us anymore, but we hope that in the
   future this will change, and we love her and thank her for everything, and
   think she is wonderful.

   - Carnegie Mellon -EA-P2PU possible collaboration.

   - Chloe rocks and will (hopefully) be part of this :)

*We don't actually have to talk about ... the ... Mozilla Festival*

http://pad.p2pu.org/mozilla-festival-london