[p2pu-dev] P2PU Homepage

Alison Cole alison at p2pu.org
Thu Nov 3 19:43:40 UTC 2011

A few points. There's a few too may threads to interject them in between
the lines.

Overall this looks great!

I like the infographic that tells the story of "how it works". Perhaps the
"recognition" button should have a badge icon instead of a graduation cap?

I have issues with the "as featured in"  stream of publications that have
featured us. Most pubs have mentioned us in passing in articles that focus
on the bigger picture of education and haven't actually directly endorsed
our mission anyhow.

A visitor should get a strong sense of a DIY community upon first glance of
P2PU. This is way more important and, like Jessy, I feel it's missing from
the front page. I'd rather see a brief showcase of people and courses.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Dan Diebolt <dandiebolt at gmail.com> wrote:

> >What needs to be changed? What needs to be removed?
>
> Read till end.
>
> There was an interesting post on Reddit today from an intern at the Khan
> Academy on the subject of using "*Machine Learning to Assess Student
> Mastery*". While repetition and testing is not the paradigm P2PU uses, it
> is interesting to see the level of mathematics (logistic regression) being
> applied to assess student proficiency at Khan. In the results section of
> the post, A/B testing was mentioned as being used to evaluate different
> math models for calculating learner proficiency. This apparently isn't the
> only area where A/B testing is used at Khan to drive decisions.
>
> To put A/B testing in perspective of web site design decisions, check out
> three slides in this presentation starting on slide 7 where two different
> registration forms are presented:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/3296257?startSlide=7
>
> Well apparently Ben Kamens - lead dev at Khan - is using a A/B testing
> framework at Khan:
>
> https://github.com/kamens/gae_bingo
>
> This framework makes it dead simple to inject alternatives into the Khan
> platform and to automatically collect data from a sample of users
> concerning which alternative has the better outcome or metric.
>
> This framework runs seamlessly on Google's App Engine (Khan runs on App
> Engine) but is allegedly framework agnostic (works with webapp, Django,
> Flask, whatever).
>
> So to comment on the original question "*What needs to be changed? What
> needs to be removed?*" it would be very interesting and cutting edge to
> answer some of these questions based on live A/B testing of the P2PU
> platform.

Alison