[p2pu-dev] P2PU Homepage

Jessica Ledbetter jessica at jessicaledbetter.com
Wed Nov 2 21:00:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Jessy Kate Schingler
<jessy at jessykate.com>wrote:

> i agree the round buttons still look clickable. also some comments i had
> given on the logo-emphasis earlier:
>
> one of the things that has always really differentiated p2pu IMO is that
>> as soon as you land on the main page, your first impression is of "the
>> community" and not "the organization." I miss that in this version.
>

> i see and like that there's the featured courses now, but somehow i still
> feel jarred by the logos on the top, even small, and wish there was more of
> a human/community feel aboutit.
>
> i DO think it's beautiful!
> jessy

Excellent point, Jessy. I agree. One of the things that drew me to Peer 2
Peer University in the beginning was learning with my peers. Before we had
the activity wall so you could see all the great things that the community
was doing. But I didn't do any usability/marketing testing to see if it was
effective to get people to join and stay active :)

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Rebecca Kahn <bekka at p2pu.org> wrote:
>
>> Like any change, there are going to be dissenters no matter what we do.
>>> However, I feel very strongly that including the logos gives us
>>> creditability and raises our status in prospective new users eyes. When
>>> someone comes to our site, the first thing they should be presented with is
>>> an understanding of what P2PU is, a way to sign up, and some form of
>>> credibility - hence the logos. Peoples attention span is very short. We
>>> need to get their attention while we can.
>>>

>> I can't speak for everyone who has feelings about the logos, but for me,
>> the issue really is about bias. Perhaps the neagtiave response was just to
>> the test logos? After all, I see no harm in including logos of some of the
>> non-US, non-English publications who have featured us. It gives a nice
>> sense of our global reach and highlights the fact that we're an
>> organisation with a global community. Somehow, that feels better than just
>> US/English language media.

> Jessy
> http://jessykate.com

Jessica Ledbetter