[p2pu-dev] users migration: full import/delete vs. notify/import on demand

zuzel.vp zuzel.vp at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:49:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM, John Britton <public at johndbritton.com> wrote:
> I think we should migrate all of the users automatically.
>> Cons: the data of how many users we have is compromised.
> What do you mean by this?

By compromised I mean that it could be harder to differentiate between
old users and active users. There is a way though:

mysql> select FROM_UNIXTIME(created), FROM_UNIXTIME(access) from users
where name='zuzelvp';
+------------------------+-----------------------+
| FROM_UNIXTIME(created) | FROM_UNIXTIME(access) |
+------------------------+-----------------------+
| 2011-01-19 16:44:44    | 2011-05-25 19:31:50   |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

If we keep the creation date and access date from the old site for the
users imported automatically (and fix the creation date for the ones
that were already imported on demand into the site) it will be
possible to have valid statistics of how many active users we have
based on the access date.

--
Thanks,
    Zuzel