[p2pu-dev] [p2pu-community] Fwd: YUE +p2pu

Stian Håklev shaklev at gmail.com
Sat May 21 00:20:17 UTC 2011

Unfortunately, hosting your own software in China is quite difficult. I
think there is a limitation of who can register a domain, you might have to
be a company and satisfy a large capital requirement to quality, then there
are a lot of requirements re self-censorship etc. The reason for this is
that mainland-hosted sites are inside the great firewall, so the government
is completely reliant upon self-censorship. There's no way I could set up my
own domain to host my WordPress blog in China, because then the government
would not be easily able to control what I post, and who sees it. Instead, I
must blog on one of the large platforms, which both have software
automatically blocking certain words, and human censors.

So I am guessing that what Yue is proposing is to use existing Web 2.0 sites
in China to do their learning.

Note that Hong Kong is outside the great firewall, and can be blocked just
as easily as any other international location.

I think the most important thing is for people to start doing this in China
at all - I've been travelling around giving talks or years encouraging
people to start open courses etc - they have massive amount of both legally
OER and other resources of dubious origin :) Hopefully P2PU could help with
all of our experience in social learning, etc.

(PS: Alan, I am in China right now. Mostly in a village, but will be
visiting Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing at various points. Would
love to meet up with some of these people if you can introduce us).

Stian

http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters