[p2pu-dev] Fwd: YUE +p2pu

Alan Webb alancwebb at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:10:58 UTC 2011

Hi everyone, just a few notes from a budding partnership with YUE who wants
to work with P2PU to get courses started at around 90 universities in China
around the topics of storytelling and project management.  Laura and I are
helping them build up those courses in successive stages starting this
summer and going into the Fall.  YUE is also Wiser-U's partner in China and
we are going to be pulling in some help from Ashoka U's network to help
build these courses also, so this is helping facilitate a great convergence
among organisations we would like to feel more and more a part of SoSI.

YUE seems reluctant to use the P2PU site or help with localization, but we
did talk about that and they do have the technical capability to help out.
 Their concerns all seem to stem from a fear that the site could become
blocked any day, for example by some unmoderated political content getting
posted.  For that reason, they seem inclined to start with home-grown
solutions ror now for sharing powerpoints to be used by study groups, and to
use QQ or home-grown forums for connecting students.  And in the mean time
we'll keep talking about how to tie that work together and at a minimum
share what they do in some way with the rest of the world through P2PU (they
offered to translate materials they produce into English, we offered that
their energy might be better spent translating the overall P2PU site into
Chinese, but that didn't address the above concerns).

This brings up a discussion I had a long time ago with Stian about what
localization in China might look like, so it's not a new one, but it's
becoming immediate relevant.

I'd like to ask if anyone has any creative ideas about how to handle
localization in a place where not just language translation, but also
government censorship and blocking, are very real concerns and challenges.

Just for the sake of conversation, if the value of P2PU is in our community
more so than our technology, are there any creative ideas how we can help
them connect, brand and communicate themselves as part of the P2PU
community, even if it turns out that they might prefer a home-grown tech
solution, or even if they remain reluctant to move their work to one
platform and domain hosted in the U.S.?   What does working together and
sharing look like in that scenario?

I think this taps into some much broader conversations about the nature and
vision of this community, so I wanted to put it out to everyone for
discussion!

Many Thanks,
Alan