[p2pu-dev] Contributing to Lernata (code) group. previously... [p2pu-community] Working with the new site: Ideas from Dan Diebolt and I

Jessica Ledbetter jessica at jessicaledbetter.com
Thu Mar 31 15:22:40 UTC 2011

I'm thinking we could do a study group this upcoming round of
classes/groups, gather up all the gotchas/questions we find, and use that to
build up the documentation for future developers.  We can probably reuse
some things already in place like #p2pu-dev (for those that are of the IRC
variety). Maybe once we finish we can update
http://new.p2pu.org/en-US/courses/lernanta-dev/  ?

My first sketch is now up
http://new.p2pu.org/en-US/courses/introduction-to-contributing-to-lernata/content/task-list-draft/

In addition to the great resource that is Zuzel and each other, we have help
as well with https://github.com/p2pu/lernanta/wiki so that's awesome :)

I know you're insanely busy, Zuzel, and we'll be calling on you when we
can't figure out stuff ourselves.

I'm going to -- when I can -- set up the task list (sounds better than a
syllabus to me) as group editable and we'll grow (sic) from there!

Looking forward to the fun :)

Jessica

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM, zuzel.vp <zuzel.vp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me know how I can help :)
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Pippa Buchanan
> <Pippa.Buchanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jessica, that would be great - I'd love to be in a group of people
> learning
> > how to positively hack on the new site. Can I suggest a task - "Getting
> your
> > Python dev environment setup" as that's where I've stalled in my learning
> of
> > Python!
> >
> > P*
> >
> > On 30 March 2011 22:02, Jessica Ledbetter <jessica at jessicaledbetter.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> +1 on Contributing to Lernata (code) group. I've been toying with the
> idea
> >> of doing a session on contributing to open source with a focus on Python
> >> code but have not had time to make up a fake project yet nor become more
> >> than a novice in Python.
> >> Are there enough junior tasks? Though I guess we could take a task (that
> >> doesn't have an urgency) and do it a loose pair programming style
> project.
> >> It'd show people that are interested how to get code from a repository,
> find
> >> out how to compile it/run it locally, find a bug to work on, make the
> >> necessary change, and submit.
> >>
> >> If Zuzel is game for a novice Python person to lead up a session, I can
> do
> >> it.  How about a 3-4 week one?

> try
> Zuzel