[p2pu-dev] Lernanta architecture

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 23:49:31 UTC 2011

Stian:

I roughly agree but I also want to note that the ideas here seem "tool
centered" and I think this point should be made clear: data needs
theory or at least semantics, or it's not likely to be useful.   E.g.,
how much someone typed in Etherpad doesn't correspond to how much
value they contributed to the conversation (maybe their keyboard is
stuck and is typing "a" repeatedly).  On the other hand, I myself have
some dreams about how Etherpad could be pushed much further, as part
of a social annotation suite (Gravpad).  Data is good, but a concerted
development effort would likely be needed to make something
significantly "better".

Similarly, regarding BBB, note that considerable analytic effort has
been put forth in the related FlashMeeting project (which is based at
my institute), see http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/research/index.html,
http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/research/shapes.html.  I'm all for
gathering data from BBB, but again, advancing the state of the art for
research or for collaboration is going to be a huge task.  Data might
be *one* first step, but I think ideally the analysis programme would
develop roughly in parallel with the data gathering effort.  I.e. what
are the research questions here?

Joe