[p2pu-dev] [Madlug] WebRTC

Douglas Whitfield whitfield at opensourceplayground.org
Thu Jun 2 22:53:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 16:51, Jesse Thompson
<jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu>wrote:

> The reason why A/V hasn't caught on with other XMPP services is because
> clients haven't implemented the A/V part at all, or in a way that works
> across all clients and across all platforms.  My hope is that this WebRTC
> stuff can be leveraged by the developers of open source web-based XMPP
> clients. If that happens, then yes, it will be a major game-changer for
> closed networks like Skype.

The above is essentially where I was going with this.

I didn't say this in my first message first time because I've had Skype on
the brain with the podcast I co-host, but I was thinking web-conferencing
more generally too - not just Skype.  There are a lot of Flash
video-conference implementations (and things like UStream) out there and I'm
hoping this can make some of that go away.