[p2pu-dev] P2PU API

Jessy Kate Schingler jessy at jessykate.com
Wed Jun 1 04:03:11 UTC 2011

alright, trying to push on both ideas a bit more:
*
*
*extension api*
for an extension api, we could look into starting with the ability for *
existing* accounts to interact with *existing* courses. so focus on enabling
contribution of content, rather than exposing settings and administrative
tasks. folks who have been active on lernanta probably can flesh this out
better than me, but as an initial thought, this would be a pretty simple set
of API calls right now:

(sg == study group)

sg_follow
sg_post_message
sg_create_task
sg_edit task
sg_comment_task
sg_comment_task_reply

profile_post_message

person_follow
person_message

this is a small set of api items (am i missing stuff?) but i think the
bigger challenge would be maintenance and support... are we ready for that?

* reporting api: *
we could start by returning only information from queries which have > a
certain number of results, but this doesn't stop people from combining
queries in ways that expose additional information. i think there's a fair
argument here that whatever is already public on the site is fair game for a
reporting api.

courses_total
courses_per_school
participants_total
participants_in_course
people_following
courses_following
person_comments_text
(what else am i missing?)

IMHO here's where it gets more interesting, if we can track, compare and
contrast things like (very rough):

number of times a study group page was visited by a given person
number of times they commented (already public)
most frequent words (already public)
most "successful" (definition?!)/unsuccessful study groups and ...
 - # of participants,
 - frequency of participation (per person, and overall),
 - average delta response time between comments,
 - average number of posts total/per task/per person,
 - avg. # of other courses being taken by participants,
 - the "spread" of participation over multiple courses by participants who
take multiple courses,
 - participation and time zone/average participant time zone...
courses and badges...
study groups and... breakfast choice?! phase of the moon?!

obviously tons we could do here. this is trickier to do "right" (and with
privacy), but we could design queries which give back statistical
information about correlations, rather than individual behaviour. that would
be suuuper cool from a science perspective.

i think we have all this data except for page views, which i'm not even sure
we can track on a per-user level without getting pretty invasive. however,
most of the rest is based on available data. a slightly different take on
this kind of reporting statistics might be not as an API but as a
(daily/weekly/whatever) automated data report, which people can consume as
they wish. this would obviously simplify care and feeding, though it would
reduce customizability (filters etc.).

we could flesh some of these things out on an etherpad/wiki page in more
detail if we want to get more specific.

thoughts?

Jessy
--