[p2pu-dev] Notes from Community Call - 7 July 2011
bekka.kahn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:24:57 UTC 2011
Hello good people of P2PU*
*Please find below the notes from this week's community call. It was a good
one - fast and productive, like, ummm... a good hamburger. Please take a
look at the last item about meeting management - we want to make sure stuff
can be included and not shunted from one meeting to another...
- Is the activity wall being utilized in the best way?
- Recap on the Toronto Dev Meeting; SoW plans
- New Schools of Open Data and Citizen CyberScience
- Pushed from last week (and pushing again to email updates and next
- Survey [Ali]
- SoW features / design update [Pippa]
- Pushed to next week: How should p2pu welcome new users and create
social relationships among them?
- Pushed to next week: How can we encourage better spelling and grammar
- Meeting management
- Alison (for beginning)
- Jessica (pad)
- adding sections to handbook
- reviewing new courses
- User tags phase 1
- Attended second (thank you, Zuzel!) session of dev meeting
- Study group/Course tags phase 1 is next
- Back from oodles of travel though internet connectivity at work is very
- OKCon follow-up
- Planning a course
- I'm back!!
- Strategy meeting in Toronto (just got back)
- Tons and tons of meetings - getting caught back up after the drive
- Regrouping on badge integration
- Release 0.9 --
- Adjusted short term priorities during meeting at Toronto --
- Working on having features ready for the start of MoJo learning labs.
- dev meetings yesterday --
- Can we streamline the actvity on the activity wall in a way that
eliminates some of the noise and allows us make it more useful for showing
what is happening in courses? At the moment it pulls in a lot of general
- Could be a very powerful tool
- What does the community see as being important/valuable activity
- One of the changes being made this week (monday) will be the ability
for users to filter the wall, and allow users to create threaded
conversations. -- http://pad.p2pu.org/SowTorontoDev -- filters have to go
in before monday
- Do we want to display, by default, certain things? Or all do we want,
for example, only to have status updates or group information?
- Can this decsion be made by the person who creates the group?
- But what events/activities do we choose to display?
- Zuzel will send a mail to the dev list to get feedback, but will need
to implement something by Monday.
*Recap on the Toronto Dev Meeting; SoW plans*
- Couple of meetings about SoW been held - refocusing and forward
planning with Mozilla (as part of their planning activities)
- What is a realistic possibility to prove that we can do web developer
- In what area are we strong, and can we match this to P2PU strengths,
and build a strong community for peer learning around this?
- John will focus more on SoW and build the model that can then be used
to support other skills
- A content person will be brought one
- A high-quality set of tasks will be developed which would lead to a
badge at the end.
- Forgot: three pronged social approach (mentors, cohorts/courses,
- More detail: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/SoWToronto
- *Question:* If we identify a small set of features for one course will
this be the focus for now, and other badges are on the back burner? --
- In terms of functionality, the software building should cover
- Perhaps a smaller set of badges is required as a proof of concept. Erin
and John and Pippa to discuss this in detail
- Content area for the tasks has not been set yet, 3 areas we are
interested in, Webmaking 101 is a possibility. If we can show that the
mechanics for earning badges is hard in the outside world it would be a win,
but it's not essential that people are able to use the badges to get jobs in
the pilot, but this is something to consider.
- Overall timing: we need proof of concept by 30 August, and evidence by
- *New Schools of Open Data and Citizen CyberScience*
- Philipp and OKFN to talk next week in DC, and with CC
- This conversation could be a start for building a support package for
- Agenda items from last week can't be addressed this week becuase the
people who propsed them are unable to make the meeting.
- Suggested that if people want to add items to the agenda, they either
add their name and take ownership during the meeting, or
- send an email to Bekka/Community with a basic outline of what they want
to say (if they can't make it) so it can be discussed, and not left on the
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the p2pu-dev