[p2pu-dev] New List

Dan Diebolt dandiebolt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:44:38 UTC 2011

Just out of curiosity what is the motivation for prioritizing moving the dev
list to the domain p2pu.og? It is great to have dev email integrated and
under your control in the P2PU domain but now you bear the full burden of
keeping this service up 24/7 (cf etherpad uptime). It seems to me that
integrating course communications into the platform would be a higher
priority and the bigger challenge. Right now there is a fairly high burden
put on course organizers to manually create their own Google Groups or other
communication channels and get them populated with members who have already
gone through one registration with P2PU. What I am finding is that if you
use a Google Group a significant number of people want to receive their
email via a more convenient gmail account even though they registered with a
non-gmail account with P2PU. And the whole process of registering with
another service takes a day or to to complete adding unplanned delay and
comes with a range of unexpected issues (email spam filters, lost invites,
Google imposed limitations, etc).

I think there is a very good analogy you can make to considering a member as
a packet which has to be routed from  a starting node (registration with
P2PU) to a destination node (successfully getting setup and engaged in the
selected course). But the key point is that these packets have a very small
number of hops before they die (member abandons additional registration
steps or actions). The time to live is perhaps as low as one or two hops.

I think this is one of the biggest challenges you have to grow: providing a
better signup experience and a seamless integration of course communications
and resources into the platform.