[p2pu-dev] quick question: how many of you have used LDAP before? (opinions about how to migrate users from the drupal site to lernanta)

Paul Osman paul at mozillafoundation.org
Tue Feb 8 18:44:57 UTC 2011

So we recently migrated ~12000 users from Drupal to Django for
Drumbeat.org. A few things to note:

1) Drupal 6.x stores passwords as unsalted MD5 hashes. This is fairly
insecure (susceptible to being compromised by attackers using rainbow
tables) and has been dropped by most modern authn systems. Luckily,
Django used to do this too, and now the default authentication backend
in Django handles unsalted MD5 hashes just fine. Basically, when Django
encounters a user with an unsalted MD5 hashed password, it authenticates
them and then upgrades them automatically to whatever hashing algorithm
you choose to use going forward (SHA512 in our case). This means you can
migrate Drupal users with a straight-up SQL script, which is what we
ended up doing.

2) LDAP could be used, but introduces another piece of software to the
architecture of the site, which could become cumbersome.

3) OpenID could be used as well, but for a variety of reasons, forcing
all of your users to use OpenIDs (even if you set up an identity
provider) could be difficult.

I'd recommend doing the same thing we did... total migration took about
30 minutes for ~12k users with a ~30 line python script that executed
raw sql against the Drupal database and used Django models to write data.

-Paul