[p2pu-dev] quick question: how many of you have used LDAP before? (opinions about how to migrate users from the drupal site to lernanta)

Jessy Kate jessy.cowansharp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 18:32:20 UTC 2011

i think we should definitely support openID moving forward, but AFAIU, this
is a question about migration, independent of what authentication mechanisms
we would ultimately support...

i am no expert, but using LDAP and supporting openID are kind of
orthogonal-- we can run LDAP across multiple of *our* services, while
supporting logins TO those services via openID.

we COULD use openID to allow logins to multiple services, and we could even
be an openID provider, but i think this falls more in the "new and shiny"
category in terms of being done well.

that said, we clearly need a backend authentication solution, and LDAP might
not be the shiniest or the easiest to configure, but it's still definitely
THE standard, and you'll certainly have a lot of help and documentation from
the many many many people who have gone before us and/or who are currently
in the same situation we are.

so, my vote would be to go with LDAP. i think it will serve us well, and let
us scale up what we want to do in the authentication realm. it also doesn't
preclude openID in any way. we're not in a dire need to do this "just get
something working ASAP" (any more than we normally are ;)), so it's an
opportunity to do something that's also enabling for other parts of our
technology stack.

my 2c!
jessy

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Stian Håklev <shaklev at gmail.com> wrote:

> OpenID seems to be on the wane - some services have even removed provision
> of it (37 Signals, they wrote about it here):
> http://productblog.37signals.com/products/2011/01/well-be-retiring-our-support-of-openid-on-may-1.html
>
> I've also read that it's not very secure.
>
> Do you guys actually use OpenID on most of the sites you visit? Would most
> P2PU users do so?
>
> Stian
>

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 13:11, Jessica Ledbetter <
> jessica at jessicaledbetter.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM, John Britton <public at johndbritton.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'd really like to see us using