[p2pu-dev] Google Summer of Code 2011

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:55:14 UTC 2011

Hi:

I'm not qualified to mentor students for this project (and probably
too busy to apply myself *as* a student) -- but I'd be happy to offer
some words of advice about working with GSoC students in general,
assuming you haven't done it before.  Mainly, just like with P2PU
courses, you must do what you can make sure the parties involved are
highly committed!   Otherwise you'll find people who make it to the
half-way point and drop (they still get half the money, if they choose
to claim it).

Meeting the people in person isn't enough.  Previous commits to the
codebase isn't enough.   Leadership in the project (Jessy) or in their
own project (mystery persons who you haven't met yet) -- much better
indication of success!  Final word of "wisdom" is to value
*communication* very highly.  You don't want these people
disappearing, but it's almost as bad if they don't document their
work...

Joe