[p2pu-dev] Notes from Community Call 8 December 2011

Rebecca Kahn bekka at p2pu.org
Thu Dec 8 17:17:55 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone

Thanks to all who came to the meeting today (12 people must be a record!)
We had some great discussions. All the notes, as well as they chat
transcripts are on the etherpad: pad.p2pu.org/community
*
*
*
8 December 2011*

*Attendees:*

   - Greg

   - Alison

   - Bekka

   - Arlton

   - Laura

   - John

   - Arlton

   - Zuzel

   - Carla

   - Luka

   - Chloe

*Standups*

   - Alison

   - drafting promotional plan for Jan

   - showcase w/ Dany: http://blogs.p2pu.org/ -> check it out!

   -
   https://trello.com/board/alison-jean-cole-task-list/4ec49c0ca411c42910a8c1fd

   - Bekka

   - Admin! Yay!

   - Finances! More yay!

   - Chloe

   - Assessment Paper shared

   - Working on Challenges 101 curriculum

   - a series of challenges to get people started on making their own
   challenges

   - If anyone is interested in testing and recording their responses on an
   etherpad, Chloe would be eternally grateful :)!

   - Working on implementation of Challenges 1.0 Fixes http://bit.ly/vB8uKN

   - Coming up : Challenges 1.1 Fixes http://bit.ly/vO1Ge

   - Working on Hackasaurus Challenges http://bit.ly/u1NpK5

   - Working on NSF Grant School of Games http://pad.p2pu.org/nsfgrant

   - Inspired by Niels' idea

   - Working with University of Maryland

   - Games and computational thinking, if you're interested, please let
   Chloe know.

   - going to NYC Saturday (ET)

   - Philipp On vacation

   - Zuzel

   - Working on the cards from the Challenge 1.0 board --
   https://trello.com/board/challenge-fixes-1-0/4ea1b6d5147920a55e037013

   - Two new badges on p2pu: http://p2pu.org/en/badges/nanowrimo-prep-2011/
    and

   - http://p2pu.org/en/badges/nanowrimo-winner-2011/

   - These are related to courses that are finished

   - Next: Release before the Hackasaurus Hackjam next week.

   - John

   - In NYC - Now on east coast time

   - P2PU Nordic - Meeting last week, they're starting a swedish version

   - Sent Design posting to the list with changes based on last week's
   discussion

*Agenda*

   - Who gets to issue badges? *Discuss ways that we can allow issuing of
   badges in challenges.CHLOE.*

   - We've been issuing badges in School of Webcraft in conjunction with
   Mozilla.

   - These are both hard skill and team player-type bages.

   - As we move on, and have challenges which involve other people (or not)
   how do we issue the badges?

   - Do we need organisations to do this, or notm and how would it look

   - suggestion: have different classes of badges / achievements

   - from trusted partners

   - from individuals at p2pu

   - how much demand do we have already?

   - at least 3 new mozilla projects, - this demand we've seen

   - "as well as other organizations" - how much here?from the top of my
   head at least 3-5 (could get specific,) I anticipate those numbers getting
   larger

   - individuals -

   - i like the words: badge endorsed by X where X is a school or people

   - Alison -> gut response: we can see a good example in P2PU history:
   that whenw e have a group of people working on something the quality and
   quantity generally goes up, so working with another org is good.

   - Carla -> The idea of the OBI is that anyone can issue badges. P2PU is
   in a unique position because we're a peer-learning organisation, so how
   does the org think about vetting the badges and courses that are being
   created.

   - One-off, throw-away badges would be disappointing

   - How do we go about ensuring the value of the badges?

   - John ->anyone can issue badges via OBI, but they're not "P2PU"
   badges... they're badges from individuals or groups. I think we need to
   maintain the quality of P2PU badges (we're an issuer and should protect our
   credibility)

   - Chloe -> if anyone can issue badges, shold we build badge-creation in
   the course/challenge design process?

   - Carla ->maybe we could create a course/challenge about how to create
   badges, which grows out of the process

   - Ali -> tying badge creation into a community/peer review process (as
   we do with courses)  might be a good way to encourage people.

   - Chloe -> perhaps there are 2 paths: one with a partner/trusted org
   (mozilla, SoSI etc) and this is immediate. For individuals, there might be
   a peer-review process.

   - Ali -> soft skills can be given by the community, but for now at
   least, hard skills are recognised via our partner orgs

   - Chloe: we don't want to make a distinction that one kid of skill is
   more or less valuable than another - 21st century skills tend to be a
   priority

   - are we talking about issuing badges or creating new badges. I think
   community members should be able to issue both types

   - i thought we were talking about badge creation (how is it so different
   than issuing? -sorry i m confused)(me too) -- badge issuing is ruled by
   the type of badge you create (e.g. the badge needs peers to post a
   submission and 3 votes from other peers that use a rubric and the badge is
   issued when the average score is bigger than something)

   - Zuzel -> at the moment, we have some customisable elements for issuing
   badges: issuing = formula, rules for the badges, awarding

   -     "Creation" is different: the rules remain the same, but the
   creator can define what the rules are.

   - I think we've got three... + P2PU

   - partners - mozilla, creative commons

   - p2pu - official badges from the organization

   - example: you created a course

   - signed into the site 5 times in a week

   - peers - (this is the one we're talking about adding, I think)

   - Next Steps: Chloe to summarise, send to community and get feedback.
   anyone with specific questions, please share with Chloe.

   - Promotional Cycles: Themes for each month

   - Jan: New Years resolutions

   - One reason why activity on the site has been a bit low of late is that
   we haven't done any active recruitment of organisers and participants.

   - So to bring in more people, we're going to experiment with promotional
   cycles.

   - Try to find people who have time and energy to lead courses, and then
   we help them promote, in an effort to bring in more sign-ups.

   - Ask: How do we not be boring about this? Answer: themes!

   - Jan: "New Years resolutions - what is your learning plan, what is your
   vision"

   - Opinions?

   - what about following up promotional learning modules from current
   events - I lead a resilience circle and we did a lot of teaching around the
   financial crisis, seemed like pinning learning to a current event peaked
   people's interest and sustained it long enough - this was offline, but
   could it happen online? +1!

   - Brylie -> would there be any graphic or design elements that would
   accompany this workflow?

   - Ali -> I had thought it would involve more social media, but if anyone
   is keen to help design a good looking, fun template it would be useful.

   - Next steps: form team to work on promotional cycles (Alison, Bekka, ?
   ), suss out timing and process. Tie in w/ UX changes as they are released,
   update help.p2pu.org knowledge base

   - Mixed Content licencing

   - As a course organiser and collaborator, I have an interest in
   incorporating various mterials in the platform, and have been offered
   material from other P2PU organiser.

   - Question: a lot of the OER material has a non-commercial licence, and
   P2PU has a BY-SA licence

   - the different license only matters for derivitive works, you should be
   able to use cc-by-nc, new content created for p2pu is licensed under
   cc-by-sa.

   - http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_combine_two_different_Creative_Commons_licensed_works.3F_Can_I_combine_a_Creative_Commons_licensed_work_with_another_non-CC_licensed_work.3F><http://pad.p2pu.org/ep/search?query=Can_I_combine_two_different_Creative_Commons_licensed_works.3F_Can_I_combine_a_Creative_Commons_licensed_work_with_another_non-CC_licensed_work.3F>
   #Can_I_combine_two_different_Creative_Commons_licensed_works.3F_Can_I_combine_a_Creative_Commons_licensed_work_with_another_non-CC_licensed_work.3F<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_combine_two_different_Creative_Commons_licensed_works.3F_Can_I_combine_a_Creative_Commons_licensed_work_with_another_non-CC_licensed_work.3F>

   - You can post/link to anything on the site. As John said, you have to
   be careful when you remix or create a derivative work.

*Courses*

READY:

   - EduToolkit: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/edutoolkit/ tweeted ✔

   - How to Teach Webcraft and Programming to Free-Range Students:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/how-to-teach-webcraft-and-programming-to-free-range-students/
tweeted
   ✔

UNDER DEVELOPMENT:

   - Community GIS: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/community-gis/

   - *Past Life Regression: **
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/past-life-regression/*<http://p2pu.org/en/groups/past-life-regression/>

   - Metodología de la Investigación:
   http://p2pu.org/es/groups/metodologia-de-la-investigacion/

   - Understand the Purpose of Education:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/understand-the-purpose-of-education/

   - Lifenow Learner: An Active Practice of Lifelong Learning:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/lifenow-learner-an-active-practice-of-lifelong-learning/
   '

   - Quitting Smoking: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/quitting-smoking/

   - Dignity in the workplace:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/dignity-in-the-workplace/

   - *Certificate in conspiracy theory : **
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/certificate-in-conspiracy-theory/*<http://p2pu.org/en/groups/certificate-in-conspiracy-theory/>

   - RAILS 101: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/rails-101-2/

   - Javascript: http://p2pu.org/en/groups/javascript/

   - #2 <http://pad.p2pu.org/ep/search?query=2> Writing HTML by Hand:
   http://p2pu.org/en/groups/2-writing-html-by-hand-2/

   - Community: we're still working on the feedback/review mechanisms for
   the community, so all feedback should be directed to the organisers, within
   the course, while it's under development.

   - Feature/process request: While a course is in development, comments
   appear on the page, and then disappear when the course is opened.

   - Zuzel -> maybe we could have these discussions in help.p2pu? Private
   messages via the site could keep the discussions too closed.