[p2pu-dev] Notes from Community Call - 25th August 2011

Pippa Buchanan Pippa.Buchanan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:11:54 UTC 2011

Sorry everyone. Was still stuck thinking it was Wednesday, so probably
wouldn't have contributed much in that delayed state of mind :-)

>    - *UX / Navigation - **vocabulary - information hierarchy (schools
>    specifically)*
>

>    - UX opinion is that Schools doesn't belong in the main section on the
>    site - how do we manage this / argue the point / get buy in from the
>    community on this?
>
> If Schools can't be in the main menu I think it's important to draw
attention to them somewhere above the fold - the footer is far too hidden.

Giving Schools priority is important for the schools, but I think it's
important for P2PU as it shows the breadth of topics and activity within the
community.

Could schools be listed as a secondary level / drop down under the Learn
item as well as being featured prominently on the Learn page?  Though
Schools don't feel very "active", so from a UX perpective I can see why they
want to move them away.

Learn
- School of Ed
- School of Webcraft etc

And could one of the other levels be "Assist"? That might be an interesting
way of framing participation from people who more specifically want to teach
a course or who have expert advice to give, mentors (at school or p2pu wide)
 and would be a great way of getting people involved in the P2PU community
more broadly.

Assist
-- Advise on a course
--Create a course
-- Help build the P2PU project

Assist (webcraft specific)
-- Mentor an individual
-- Create a Challenge

I'm not sure if that's an appropriate way of framing it, but some people are
going to come in the mode of learners and others will be more interested in
sharing knowledge / running a more traditional course.

P*