[p2pu-dev] Notes from Community Call - 25th August 2011

Rebecca Kahn bekka at p2pu.org
Thu Aug 25 16:02:43 UTC 2011

What a meeting! We had fires, we had hurricanes, we had tears and laughter
and tears of laughter. And we finished in record time. Thanks to everyone
who joined us. These notes, and those from previous meetings can be found on
the pad: http://pad.p2pu.org/community*
*

*Agenda*

   - Standups
   - Lots of development work (too much)
   - patting ourselves on the shoulder (school of ed, webcraft progress)
   - vocabulary - information hierarchy (schools specifically) [John]

*Attendees*

   - Jessica on travel & pad only
   - Bekka
   - Alison
   - Philipp
   - John
   - Gunner
   - Erin
   - Jamie

*Standups:*

   - *Asses**s**ment & Badges** [Erin]*
   - Aligning webcraft challenges with badges functionality
   - Chloe coming onboard next week - working on defining a model for
challenges
   and aligning that with the badges
   - *Metrics** [Jessica]*

   - https://github.com/p2pu/lernanta/wiki/Course-Metrics-Roadmap

   - Lots of commits. More testing. Hope to have on a dev web server so that
   Karen and others can test

   - *User Support** [John/Alison]*

   - http://help.p2pu.org

   - Added live chat (John, Ali, Bekka)

   - working on single sign on

   - *Webcraft** [John]*

   - http://blogs.p2pu.org/blog/2011/08/19/state-of-webcraft-webmaking-101/

   - post by Jamie coming today<<on that now

   - good feedback from mozilla call

   - UX - starting with sitewide review, group page next

   - *Tech** [Zuzel]*

   - Arranging call about Sow and Badges objectives next Tuesday

   - Call yesterday about UCI pilot (new courses on School of Ed and
   integration with external website)

   - Doing last spring on this milestone features

   - Set up two demos on alpha for Jessica and Arlton (alpha.p2pu.org:8091and
   alpha.p2pu.org:8092)

*Notes*

   - *Lots of development work (too much)*

   - Can we find more volunteer developers? Should we try? Or makes more
   work than is useful?

   - Yes, it would be easier for Zuzel to set up working systems with
   developers who can be responsible for distinct projects.

   - Reach out to Mozilla/webcraft community?

   - Budget to hire more full time developers?

   - not unrestricted funds - could push a little more on webcraft specific
   things, or assessment related things

   - or could raise funds from shuttleworth for a full-time developer
   short-term (but takes a few weeks to get the money)

   - Some of the projects are paying for their development work out of their
   budgets, and everything is "paid for" at the moment

   - But we don't have an unlimited amount of money for all the devleopment
   work that needs to be done

   - Possibility: to motivate for a short-term developer fellowship from
   Shuttleworth foundation

   - *Next Steps*:

   - Philipp to follow up with Zuzel for overall dev support

   - Philipp to follow up with John/Jamie on short-term webcraft need

   - John to reach out to volunteer developers

   - *http://* <http://help.p2pu.org/>*help.p2pu.org*<http://help.p2pu.org/>

   - Email to go to community list once there is more content there - but
   feel free to look at the link

   - Please include some info on how this relates to all the other support
   options we've had in the past (bascially short version of your answer to
   zuzel)

   - Looks great!!!

   - What are we shutting down/ replacing?

   - Definitely remove "contact alison" - make support a public / group
   effort

   - help desk group will go

   - Handbook content will move across

   - Uservoice page - this wasn't used for site feedback, but we can export
   the data and close that down too.

   - i like the uservoice link - would prefer to keep (it's easier to leave
   feedback that way, than to move to help.p2pu.org). maybe refocus on "real
   feedback" rather than "suggest a course"

   - Is there an ask to the community to contribute content?

   - Not right now. Ali and John moving content.

   - But people can ask and answer publicly and turn that info into
   knowledge base.

   - John will add a call to action

   - *UX / Navigation - **vocabulary - information hierarchy (schools
   specifically)*

   - Site navigation is a bit confusing at the moment (Learn, Blog, Help)
   are all top-level items but some of those links take users away from the
   site and it's hard to get back

   - UX opinion is that Schools doesn't belong in the main section on the
   site - how do we manage this / argue the point / get buy in from the
   community on this?

   - talk to people that are most affected

   - people who are running schools

   - somtimes experts lack foresight of the future of the project

   - Proposal:

   - to remove the schools dropdown, and replace it with actions
   (Learn/create whatever gets decided)

   - Schools get moved down to the footer for navigation

   - But are prominently featured on the p2pu home page & the "learn" page

   - Visual representations of this will make it easier to get buy-in and
   communicate the proposals to the community and schools.

   - demo of the navigation design -- http://alpha.p2pu.org:8091/en/