[p2pu-dev] Zalun - Thanks for your comment re /show/

Dan Diebolt dandiebolt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:59:58 UTC 2011

@Zalun, thanks for your comment regarding the use of the /show/ url at this
site that I am involved with:

http://p2pu.org/webcraft/node/27443/document/27537

As you can see from the other examples on that page we have been trying to
demonstrate (a) the extremely wide range of ways in which jsFiddle can be
used  in collaborative open learning scenarios as well as (b) finding
technical ways to embed jsFiddle into somewhat "uncooperative" host
platforms such as blogs, social hubs, content management systems and
learning management systems. I say "uncooperative" from the perspective of
the host platform not envisioning inclusion of jsFiddle in terms of (a)
adequate layout space, (c) classic "trapped in frame" issue, (d) Cross-site
scripting concerns etc. Also I have been looking at ways in which an
embedded fiddle can receive or pull information from its host container page
despite the same origin policy. It would be extremely helpful for example to
be able to safely pass a user identity or access token from the host page to
the embedded fiddle (postMessage maybe). This way the embedded fiddle could
actually act as a tool to perform some useful function such as displaying
information retrieved from an external data source but tied to the user
identity or session in the host platform. Ultimately I believe all these
things are possible now using some of those advanced techniques I outlined
in a previous post but it depends on what capabilities the host platform
happen to supports.

Also in regard to the /show/ suffix, I have seen no problem whatsoever using
it. The concern isn't so much debranding and removing the chrome but rather
getting the fiddle to embed nicely in the host page without taking up
unnecessary space. I would prefer a watermark inside the jsfiddle to
preserve branding and identity as the bar across the top simply takes up too
much space (embedding jsdo.it takes up way to much space).

Cross-Domain Communication with IFrames
http://softwareas.com/cross-domain-communication-with-iframes

easyXDM: Cross-Domain Messaging Made Easy
http://easyxdm.net/

Breaking The Cross Domain Barrier
http://www.slideshare.net/SlexAxton/breaking-the-cross-domain-barrier

Scripting Iframes - Tutorial and Examples
http://www.dyn-web.com/tutorials/iframes/