[p2pu-dev] github issue tracker

Jessica Ledbetter jessica at jessicaledbetter.com
Wed Apr 13 00:01:04 UTC 2011

If we did switch to github for issue tracking, where would story-type issues
go? Like
http://p2pu.lighthouseapp.com/projects/71002/tickets/49-schools-home-page  Also
github?

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM, zuzel.vp <zuzel.vp at gmail.com> wrote:

> * The relation between tickets and commits that is on github could
> help developers but confuse non-tech people.

We can integrate github commits with Lighthouse too. I haven't yet but I was
eyeballing it.

> * I used test accounts on lighthouse and github, and both seam to have
> restrictions in which what a non-member can do (in both non-members
> can add/edit tickets with a title and a description; in lighthouse
> they can also upload attachments, in both they can not add tags or
> assign tickets to users and milestones; at github non-members can
> reply to comments by email; and both trackers do not allow the
> creation of new tickets by email).

I thought we could via Lighthouse at least. You have to be a member though.
http://help.lighthouseapp.com/kb/getting-started/how-do-i-send-tickets-via-email

> * I will not recommend moving in the near future because we should
> first get the opinion from the community (non-tech and tech people),
> and because it will be better to schedule such a move at a point in
> which we can take the necessary time to move tickets from one tracker
> to the other (we have 99 open tickets at the moment and more to come)
> and the goal to have our 1.0 release in Jul 18th.

+1 We've moved a few times so at least give this one a little longer of a
run?

If users really do have difficulties with the tracker then we could set up a
support email where a team of wonderful people (aka p2pu-dev) put the ticket
in for them :) I'm fine with helping copy/paste. Of course, ideally, people
would search to make sure it's not a duplicate but the easier it is for
people to report issues, the better, in my opinion especially in a beta
environment.

Totally agree too about surveying the community later to see if hosting
issues on github would make it easier.

If github makes it easy to merge two duplicate tickets in to one, then I'm
#1 on the fan list ;)

--
Jessica Ledbetter
http://jessicaledbetter.com