[p2pu-dev] Study Group Idea: use new.p2pu.org as the focus how to usability test

Pippa Buchanan Pippa.Buchanan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:31:53 UTC 2011

(Posted to both Webcraft and Dev lists)

As we move forward into using the new P2PU platform (at new.p2pu.org) we'd
like to make sure that we're aware of how users interact with the site. The
skills required for this are directly related to the skill set that School
of Webcraft wants web developers to learn.

I know that there are community members directly interested in this (Joao,
Euge off the top of my head) and would love to have your help in founding
this study group.

One idea I had was to tie users studies into P2PU and School of Webcraft
face to face meetups. Interested people come along and after learning how
amazing we are, are motivated to create a study group. If we can capture
their initial use of a Study Group (and the P2PU platform) there and then,
we not only have a new user, but we can also use this as a usability testing
environment.

Could we create a simple recommended toolkit that uses screencasting tools
and voice recording to track new user's experience in this context?  Another
resource for testers would be a simple questionnaire about the users
background that we can use as input for building user profiles.

Best,

Pippa